New DSLR? or new lens?

Dantheman4334

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Having stuck with my Canon XSI and 55-250 mm lens for a good year now, I'm looking to get either a new lens, or a whole new camera for the holidays. I mostly shoot sports. I do have a crappy little tamron that I use for general purpose shots, but if I do get a new lens, I would want a telephoto.

I would be willing to spend about $1,200 either way.

Thanks for the help

I suppose i should mention that if you were to say either a new lens or a new camera, that I would need to know which one.

Thanks again

Sigma APO 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG HSM, about $1000. (daytime only sports)

Spend the other $200 on a top-of-the-line B+W polarizing filter for it and add enough $$$'s for a decent monopod.

Having stuck with my Canon XSI and 55-250 mm lens for a good year now, I'm looking to get either a new lens, or a whole new camera for the holidays. I mostly shoot sports. I do have a crappy little tamron that I use for general purpose shots, but if I do get a new lens, I would want a telephoto.

Thanks for the help

Whole new camera - Nikon!

Thanks for the help

Whole new camera - Nikon!

I guess I should also mention Im not gonna swich groups. Too much money involved. I am only 15!

Spend the other $200 on a top-of-the-line B+W polarizing filter for it and add enough $$$'s for a decent monopod.

Thanks. Just letting you know I would sacrifice zoom to get a better aperture, as basketball season is coming up soon!

Well if you want a new camera, you might want to consider used. Depending on location, in Houston this past weekend, I saw a Craigslist posting for a Canon 1Ds Mark II for $1400. If I had that kind of money to spend, I'd probably be posting pics from my "NEW" camera right now!

If you get a new camera you still have to use the same glass you have now - so the light you have to work with will be the same, the images you can get the same and the quality will not be much different.
Now if you go and spend some good money on a nice highend lens then you wll notice a massive difference. The light you have to work with will be far better and the things you can capture will be different again. Go for glass first always

here is a great comparison - Canon 350D (old entry level DSLR) and a 1DsMIII top range camera
Juza Nature Photography

the similarities - aside from a good photographer - are that both have top end glass on them - and that is making the difference

If you get a new camera you still have to use the same glass you have now - so the light you have to work with will be the same, the images you can get the same and the quality will not be much different.
Now if you go and spend some good money on a nice highend lens then you wll notice a massive difference. The light you have to work with will be far better and the things you can capture will be different again. Go for glass first always

here is a great comparison - Canon 350D (old entry level DSLR) and a 1DsMIII top range camera
Juza Nature Photography

the similarities - aside from a good photographer - are that both have top end glass on them - and that is making the difference

fair enough. now, can someone recommend a good lens that has a fairly high aperture for at least $1,500?

probably should look into a 70-200mm

I just Craigslist traded up to the EF 70-200 F/2.8L USM (Non-IS) last night. Traded the 17-40 F4L and 100mm Macro, plus a 430EX for it. Two lenses I rarely used and my extra flash I never use. Dollar per dollar for used equipment (Based on Amazon), the trade was pretty even, and both parties are happy.

I wouldn't use one of those, way too slow, and you don't need a polarizing filter stopping more light from getting in, i never use one or any filter

Juza Nature Photography

fair enough. now, can someone recommend a good lens that has a fairly high aperture for at least $1,500?

85mmF1.8 if you can get near to the action

Most reactions

Back