New DSLR? or new lens?

If you get a new camera you still have to use the same glass you have now - so the light you have to work with will be the same, the images you can get the same and the quality will not be much different.
Now if you go and spend some good money on a nice highend lens then you wll notice a massive difference. The light you have to work with will be far better and the things you can capture will be different again. Go for glass first always

here is a great comparison - Canon 350D (old entry level DSLR) and a 1DsMIII top range camera
Juza Nature Photography

the similarities - aside from a good photographer - are that both have top end glass on them - and that is making the difference

fair enough. now, can someone recommend a good lens that has a fairly high aperture for at least $1,500?

There are plenty available for "at least" $1500. I suspect that you really want to spend "at most" $1500.

If you get a new camera you still have to use the same glass you have now - so the light you have to work with will be the same, the images you can get the same and the quality will not be much different.
Now if you go and spend some good money on a nice highend lens then you wll notice a massive difference. The light you have to work with will be far better and the things you can capture will be different again. Go for glass first always

here is a great comparison - Canon 350D (old entry level DSLR) and a 1DsMIII top range camera
Juza Nature Photography

the similarities - aside from a good photographer - are that both have top end glass on them - and that is making the difference

fair enough. now, can someone recommend a good lens that has a fairly high aperture for at least $1,500?

There are plenty available for "at least" $1500. I suspect that you really want to spend "at most" $1500.

Yes, thats what I meant :)

Neither, I'd go with the Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L Non-IS if you are looking to shoot sports. They can be found used and in good condition for around $900-$1100 depending on where you look.

Neither, I'd go with the Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L Non-IS if you are looking to shoot sports. They can be found used and in good condition for around $900-$1100 depending on where you look.

That sounds great. Thank you. A little too heavy, but I think it will do nicely

I agree with the 70-200 2.8..even though I shoot Nikon. I dont understand why any brand refuses to make a 70-300 2.8. I think it would 'sell like hotcakes'.

Mark

I agree with the 70-200 2.8..even though I shoot Nikon. I dont understand why any brand refuses to make a 70-300 2.8. I think it would 'sell like hotcakes'.

Mark

must be hard to make:meh::meh:

They have a 100-300 2.8 I believe, so I dont see how it would be much harder to make a 70-300 2.8. Im not a lens technician by any means though..

Mark

Most reactions

New Topics

Back