New dx fisheye from nikon soon?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Ejazzle, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Ejazzle

Ejazzle TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Do you guys think that there will be a new DX 10.5 fisheye coming from nikon soon? I mean its been almost 7 years now...

2. IgsEMT

IgsEMT No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There will probably be some sort of adjustment in the future. I've read somewhere that average turnaround for new piece of equipment for Nikon and Canon is b/n 12-18months so something new is bound to come out. The question that you might want to ask is will it be worth the price tag. From speaking with people the new 70-200 vr2 isn't anything hard core special compared to 70-200 vr1 but the price is OBVIOUSLY different.
    What I'd love to see in terms of lenses is ONE lens something like 18-200 or even 10-200 that is f/2.8 and yet is under $1,500 WISHFUL THINKING, I KNOW :)

3. NateS

NateS TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For them to make a new version, there must be something that the current version is missing. What exactly about the 10.5 would you like that isn't currently there?

I'd say No. I doubt they'd re-do this lens right away. I don't believe it is one of the biggest sellers to be needing a revamp....kind of a specialty lens really. I could be wrong, but I just don't see the sales on that particular lens being high enough to warrant an update....especially when the current one already does what it does very well.

4. Antithesis

Antithesis No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I've only used one copy of this lens, and I found the IQ to be pretty horrible. I actually found this to be the case with Canon's 15mm too. When comparing them to some of the third party offerings (Tokina 10-17, Sigma 15mm), there really is no comparison: the third party lenses are far better in all aspects (Especially corner sharpness and CA).

The main issue I noticed with the Nikon specifically was the chromatic aberration, which was far worse than the Sigma or Tokina. I don't think Nikon would make a huge pile of money by revamping this lens, but I do think it probably needs it. And considering that DX is moving into the "prosumer" range, they could make a less expensive one too using cheaper materials to appeal to a broader range of buyers (namely, the average consumer, who would probably love to have one but can't justify the expense).

Edit: oh, and they could introduce AF-S. That is missing from Nikon's current offering.

5. Ejazzle

Ejazzle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i was thinkin on the same lines as why they updated the 50mm 1.4

6. Ejazzle

Ejazzle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    pretty much all of what antithesis said.

7. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    A 10.5mm fisheye lens that needs AF-S focusing!:lmao: That's hilarious!

Set the 10.5mm lens at 3 feet t f/8. You will have depth of field from 1.3 feet to Infinity. Online Depth of Field Calculator

I know young people have a love for AF-S focusing, but c'mon...a 10.5mm lens can be zone focused, which is also called scale focusing....you know...estimate the distance,and set the focus distance. With the critical focusing needs of the 10.5mm lens, you ned to be precise, and get the distance estimated criticially, like within 15 to 20 feet.

A fisheye lens needs AF-S focusing? That made me laugh. Hyperfocal distance is 2.3 feet at f/8, so as long as it is set to 2.3 feet or farther, everything will be in acceptable focus from 1.15 feet to the Moon.

8. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Only 7 years? That's young for a lens. Are you a member of the ipod generation where everything is automatically obsolete 2 days after it leaves the store?

Complain about the 50mm f/1.2 that lens is 28 years old. Now it is due for a replacement! :D

9. Ejazzle

Ejazzle TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    no condescension is needed...

why was the 50mm updated?

its funny how neither of you acknowledged the CA or IQ. Im not worried about focusing or the 50mm 1.2, just if anyone knew anything about a new 10.5 in the near future.

10. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Is anybody using Nikon Capture software or Panorama Tools ReMap module to 1) eliminate 90 percent of the residual Chromatic Aberration or to if desired, 2) "de-fish" the captures to get a 120 degree rectilinear angle of view? The lens design is about as good as it can be made in terms of chromatic aberration for a TINY fisheye lens that is actually stowable inside of a camera bag, and which sells for the very affordable price of $699,new. The idea is to remove residual Chromatic Aberration using Nikon Capture software, to make the lens small, and affordable. And it is both.

The residual CA the lens's image exhibit are what you might call the $3,000 discount in price that it would have been priced at if the designers had made it a priority to totally eliminate all traces of CA to the maximum. You want a perfect 10.5mm fisheye lens with f/2.8 speed and positively diminutive size? For $699?

Look at what an 8mm f/2.8 fisheye used to be like--I have seen and held precisely ONE of these lenses in 27 years of Nikon use. ONE example.Nikon 8mm

Nowadays, we have a 10.5mm fisheye that costs less than a decent camera; a fully-corrected, perfectly optimized, totally-professional, state-of-the-art fisheye like the 8mm f/2.8 is selling for a little over $2,500 as a 12-year-old DEMO at Adorama right now, today. The lens was first made in 1970,and was last made in 1997. Given how little interest or actual, pressing demand there is for fisheye lenses, and given Nikon's lengthy run with the 8mm f/2.8 fisheye, I have this feeling that the lens will not be re-designed for quite some time. The 50mm f/1.8 AF's optical design has not been re-worked since it was introduced in September of 1986,and that lens sells a lot of copies. When it was introduced, the 10.5 DX sold for around $599, which is about 1/3 to 1/4 of the price of a "professional" Nikkor lens today. I think NIkon feels the lens is good enough for DX users, especially if they avail themselves of the software tools available to handle the removal of the last "$3,000 worth" of chromatic aberration.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  11. bhop

bhop No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    AF-S

12. Garbz

Garbz No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Wasn't trying to be condescending, just trying to point out a fact of our times where people upgrade their D40s to D60s because their cameras are so "out of date". Lenses fall way outside this normal category and it takes a lot for a lens to become obsolete.

It doesn't matter if the image quality is down right crap. Given the amount of R&D and time that is sunk into each lens even a crap one will stay on the market for absolutely ages, it just probably won't sell very well. The only time lenses these days are updated is for a massive update in features that were missing, such as none of Nikon's 50mm lenses being able to autofocus on 5 of Nikon's DSLRs which is a much bigger problem for a 50mm than a fisheye, or for a high sale oriented money grab such as the replacement of the 28-70mm f/2.8 with the 24-70mm f/2.8 "Nanocoated" lens.

A DX fisheye is unlikely to be on the top of the todo list.