New f0.95 lens from leica

The two wide Summilux (f/1.4) lenses, the 21 mm and the 24 mm, are also rather appealing. The new Noctilux is an improvement on the existing Noctilux, but the 21 and 24 lenses are all new at that aperture for Leica.

Exactly how good you need an f/1-ish lens to be is debatable. I use mine in very low light, at slow-ish shutter speeds and f/1 or f/1.2 with pushed film. The idea of 'sharpness' in those conditions is relative, and a lens that was better optically would make very little difference in the sharpness of the final image. Flare is another matter, and the existing Noctilux is already outstanding in that respect.

Best,
Helen

Exactly how good you need an f/1-ish lens to be is debatable.

hehehe lol. No one "needs" a f/1 lens. Its sure fun having one.

You know whats interesting....

You have Canonites and Nikonians. Both swear their system is godly. Some talk as if their stuff is infallible and the competitor is utter crap.

In the world of Leica shooters, they are about the most critical bunch of folks I have ever had discussions... but not about other systems... against their own stuff... Leica stuff. I've never heard such bashing/criticisms regarding Leica stuff than from the Leica crowd. The one Leica product that seems to garnish the most is the Noctilux. There are tons of threads on the internet forums dedicated to this one lens. Its pretty amazing.

The new 50mm f/0.95 noctilux is no different. It is destined to have the same reaction. The lens could be absolutely perfect but I bet there will be tons of threads dedicated to "it isn't as good as the previous". There are already topics on debating the sheer cost of this new lens.

A select few have already purchased the last of the last batch of the 50mm f/1. Complete with a humidor for between $16000 to $24000. Hehahaha lol

http://www.dalephotoanddigital.com/...ica_Special_Edition_Noctilux_M_50mm_f_1_0.htm

Given the M8's cropped sensor, I'm very surprised that the new Noctilux wasn't a 35mm focal length.

These are for the Leica M mount. I wish they made one for the R-mount, which is their SLR... and also fits the Canon EOS mount with an adaptor.

I have two of these lenses: the previous Noctilux (f/1) and an old Canon from the 1960s (f/0.95). They are heavy, and at wide open your focusing margin of error is in milimeters... and I don't mind barrel rotation, I mean DOF to subject.

I'm not sure how the Aspherical glass will work. To me, the Noctilux was always special because of the way it drew OOF at a wider aperture. The notion that sharpness is paramount is irrelevant to me in some ways... I'd rather use a 50mm 'Lux or even 'Cron, which are lighter, easier to focus, and sharper across.

Hey, my fellow Leica shooters both responded while I was typing (and changing a diaper...)

Anyway, I'm glad I picked up my previous model a couple of years ago for $1,600... if I could make deals like that all the time I'd be a financial genius.

Anyway, I'm glad I picked up my previous model a couple of years ago for $1,600... if I could make deals like that all the time I'd be a financial genius.

I picked mine for slightly more than you... Judging from the market and the few people who have offered to purchase the lens from me on the spot in case, the lens has appreciated in value quite a bit.

That one lens (its value) has consistently outperformed my investments in the stock market (since the U.S. market slump) funny eh?

Last edited:
Hey, my fellow Leica shooters both responded while I was typing (and changing a diaper...)

The local photography shop has a nice used one. The owner is letting me have it for $1,500.00. It is one slow focusing beast, but the bokeh is killer. :D

The local photography shop has a nice used one. The owner is letting me have it for $1,500.00. It is one slow focusing beast, but the bokeh is killer. :D

P.S. Don't tell my wife. After buying the 400 f2.8 a month ago I am paying this one off a little each month. She don't know about this one. SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!:lol:

They are all slow focusing... $1500.. assuming good condtion, you really really should just buy it. I bet you can sell it tomorrow and net a profit. If its the first version (no built-in hoods), collectors will be lined up.

They are all slow focusing... $1500.. assuming good condtion, you really really should just buy it. I bet you can sell it tomorrow and net a profit. If its the first version (no built-in hoods), collectors will be lined up.

Profit-smofit. I want that lens. I have already shot it. It is sweeeeet. Soft at 1.0 but at 1.4 very sharp and like I said the Bokeh. :drool:

It is going in the bag. The only thing wrong with the whole thing is the case is missing the fax leather top piece. The lens is perfect. Oh and no it does not have the built in hood.

That’s not going to happen till Leica has a new deal with another company to supply DSLR body for r-system

It's not going to happen at all since the film plane to element distance in an SLR makes this pretty much a physical impossibility. Ever looked in the back of an f/1.2 lens for an SLR? The element already takes up the entire mounting ring, and in the case of Nikon many of the earlier models can't even be mounted on some cameras as the mirror already hits the lens when flipping :(

Profit-smofit. I want that lens. I have already shot it. It is sweeeeet. Soft at 1.0 but at 1.4 very sharp and like I said the Bokeh. :drool:

It is going in the bag. The only thing wrong with the whole thing is the case is missing the fax leather top piece. The lens is perfect. Oh and no it does not have the built in hood.

Hehehe... thats how I end up with many of my photographic stuff. I used to buy/sell used equipment and somehow things just never "sell".. :lol:

The 1st version noctilux for $1500, I'd be all over that in a second.

It's not going to happen at all since the film plane to element distance in an SLR makes this pretty much a physical impossibility. Ever looked in the back of an f/1.2 lens for an SLR? The element already takes up the entire mounting ring, and in the case of Nikon many of the earlier models can't even be mounted on some cameras as the mirror already hits the lens when flipping :(
The only thing giving me hope is that Canon made a 50mm L f/1.0 for a while. Apparently it stunk, and was replaced by the current 50mm L f/1.2.

Most reactions

Back