New faster card, same buffer rate?

SuzukiGS750EZ

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys. I upgraded my card from a 40mb/s lexar to a 260 mb/s write speed sandisk and i only see an increase of 1 photo before the buffer is full (18 on the lexar, 19 on the sandisk) with raw images. My camera is supposed to be able to shoot 25 raw photos before the buffer is full. Is there something i'm missing or did i spend 60$ for no good reason?

Perhaps there's a setting on the camera that's slowing it down. On Nikons, turning on things like Lens Distortion Correction, Auto D-Lighting and High ISO Noise Reduction bogs them down considerably.

Ah, maybe that's it. I have flicker detect as well as the lens corrections on. Good call. I turned off basically everything else that i can do in post.

That was it. Turned those things off and got my 25. The other card got 20. Hmm

Your camera is limited by it's bus speed.
by using a HIGH spec card I'm going to guess the card is going into a compatibility mode, which is much, much slower.

I know when I researched the Sandisk 95/90 cards and the newer faster cards, that there was a fallback speed for compatibility. The higher speed cards may have multiple rows of contacts, and your camera SD slot may only have 1 row of contacts, thus the "compatibility" mode.

Also there are different specs for Write and Read speed. Normally they like to advertise the faster which is normally the Read speed.

That's what it appears to be.

Even though the 80D is a "fast" camera it does not support the UHS-II speed specifications. You'll find cameras that also support 4k video support those speeds but may not support those speeds on SD cards.

Thus the 80D supports the UHS-II format, but only at UHS-I speeds
Best Memory Card For The Canon 80D
The Canon 80D doesn't take advantage of UHS-II memory cards but they still do function. You can use them to gain a performance boost when writing to your computer with a UHS-II USB 3.0 memory card reader.
and
UHS-II Memory Cards Will They Work For The Canon 80D?
Short answer is yes they will work in the 80D, but with limited speeds. However, if you're a casual shooter, they probably won't be worth the higher price.

Right now UHS-II SD memory cards are the fastest you can buy, but few cameras can take advantage of them.
and...
However, if you like to buy large cards and find yourself filling them up a lot, then those UHS-II speeds can really benefit you when it comes to transferring the data to your computer. Really nice for studio photographers.

When I was looking at 4k video compatibility of the Nikon D500 I looked into the speed of cards. Sony had a very nice 4k video camera that also did stills (poorly). It supported both SD and CompactFlash, but only the high speeds needed for 4K on the CompactFlash.

So even though you may have a fast camera that supports a technology, it may limit that technology, as such with the 80D.

We had a thread here on TPF a long time ago about the faster and faster cards and found the Sandisk Extreme Pros 95(read)/ 90 (write) were the best for the modern DSLR (before the latest wave). 4K video is the new standard for pushing streaming speeds and thus faster cards. But that may just be for video .. I haven't looked into that part yet with the D500.

Last edited:
Well, I'm getting the 80d rated specs now. Even with the Kerns coercion off, flicker mode turned off is what sped it up. I'm getting about 5 more shots out of a burst and a noticeable time in clearing the buffer over the original card. I get what you're saying about the compatability mode though

I don't think any camera manufacturers publish their write speeds of their cameras.

if you look at the UHS-II cards, they have an extra contact footprint, this is how they transfer files so much faster. If your device is non-compatible, it's not utilizing the extra leads.

but in the least, if you get a compatible usb 3.0 reader, it should be able to download files to the computer wicked fast.

if you look at the UHS-II cards, they have an extra contact footprint, this is how they transfer files so much faster. If your device is non-compatible, it's not utilizing the extra leads.

but in the least, if you get a compatible usb 3.0 reader, it should be able to download files to the computer wicked fast.
Will it be quicker than the built in reader slot in my year old computer?

Will it be quicker than the built in reader slot in my year old computer?

depends if it's usb3.0 and/or UHS-II compatible.

if it's usb2.0 then it's basically worthless.

if it's UHS-I, it's only good for about 90 mb/sec transfer rates.

Did I make a boo-boo by not buying the lexar card with the reader in the package for the dance price or is sandisk just as good or better?

One more thing. If my camera is getting that 25 shot burst before stopping, does that mean that this card is as quick a card as the camera needs or are there other parameters. I guess what i'm trying to ask is, if the 90mb/s card is the fastest card for my camera and this card i bought is pushing out 25 shots in the buffer, is it just as good as the 90?

Most reactions

Back