new Flash ----help!!!

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by sriki84, Oct 29, 2009.

1. sriki84

sriki84 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    hello guys,

Well i m new at photography and have been at it for just bout 6 months now.. I am persuing it as a passion rather than profession. I have a Canon Xti with the standard kit lense and the 75-300mm telephoto lense.

I was planning to invest in a external Flash for my camera. But the first thing I wanted to know is that Do i really need one? Here is a list of my general situations where i shoot.

1. Parties, plently of em.. especially indoors. --this implies a lot of potraits.
    2. Macro shots --- ocassionally.
    3. Landscaps -- i know i don need a flash for this..

If i do need a external flash any suggestions for the same please???

Thanks.:thumbup::D

2. Wolverinepwnes

Wolverinepwnes TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    as you mentioned you like to take pictures indoor (parties, portraits,...) a flash makes a world of difference in the quality and presentation of the pictures. a good rule of thumb with flashes is to invest 1/3 of the price of your camera body on a flash. also, for later on consider investing in a good 50mm lens f/1.8 or f/1.4. they are priceless when in comes to indoor shooting and low light situation, but thats for later on! so get a flash, do your research , and read articles on flash photography, and learn so that when you do get you can take full advantage of it!

3. Opher

Opher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For any shooting indoors it is general a good idea to have a flash. I got mine 2 or 3 moths ago and it has made my indoor shots so much better.

I have the Canon Speedlight 430EX II. Works for what i need and then some. I have ordered some remote trigers to but they have not come in yet.

Mostly if you are shooting indoors get a flash with an adjustable/swivel head.

4. Felix0890

Felix0890 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    To add to what the others have said, some macro shots come out bad due to some harsh lighting. A flash is helpful in making the subject have a softer look - especially important in shooting flowers. Also, it allows you to pick a faster shutter speed on overcast days so that you can freeze insects mid-flight and give them that hovering look.

I myself haven't gotten a flash yet because I'm saving up for a macro lens first. For now I use natural reflectors that I find lying around and/or maximize the use of natural lighting by changing the subject's position when possible.

5. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Close but no cigar. Unless you're using HSS (for most camera/speedlight combinations), you're limited to the camera's x sync, which is 1/250 for most Canon cameras. What stops the motion of insects will be the duration of the flash from the speedlight. It can flash as up to and over 1/15,000 of a second for some small strobes; that's what stops the motion, not having an increased shutter speed.

6. sriki84

sriki84 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks everyone for the responses..i took a look at the flashes and am reading bout the flash photography as well..
    hopefully there is something affordable out there that i can use to improve my macro and portrai shots.. ...

Thanks once again..

:thumbup: