New Flash Meter User

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by LeeLeeMelis, Feb 16, 2007.

1. LeeLeeMelis

LeeLeeMelis TPF Noob!

Maine-but currently stationed in Okinawa, Japan
    Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi there! I have just purchased a flash meter and a studio strobe and umbrella kit. I have no idea where to begin! If I take a reading are those the settings I put my camera on or my flash? How do I set my flash? I need all the help I can get, thanks!

2. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The reading you get from your flash meter should be when you operate the flash, this will give you the F stop, as long as you have preset the ISO and the shutter speed you are using, Im looking at getting some studio flash gear, so please let me know how you get on

Steve

3. LeeLeeMelis

LeeLeeMelis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your help, Heres another questions, how do I know what my camera's Sync speed is?

I purchased White Lightning equipment. I called my camera store at home and they recommended it without hestitation. I was on a bit of a budget and these are slightly expensive but they grow with you easily. I figured as long as they'll last my money will be well spent. I played with it a bit today and liked what I got but again, I have no comparason to any other equipment.

Thanks!

4. Azuth

Azuth TPF Noob!

1/60 or below will be fine. 1/125 or below will more than likely be fine.

5. Digital Matt

Digital Matt alter ego: Analog Matt

Photos NOT OK to edit
    For studio work, you'll want to put the meter in "shutter priority", which means you set the shutter speed and ISO on the meter, and it reads the appropriate aperture. Set the shutter to your camera's sync speed, and place the meter at the models chin. Take a reading. It will tell you what aperture to use. If you are trying to achieve certain lighting ratios, you can adjust the power of the strobe, or the distance to the subject to get different amounts of light.

6. LeeLeeMelis

LeeLeeMelis TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks for your help, here's a question unrelated to my flash. How do I post a photo on here to get help with certain things. I'd love to get help with certain photos.

Thanks!