New Flickr Group

Nineteen is still a teen...

No, go ahead and join. You are more then welcome.

What exactly did you do with sports at your school to earn $5-6k in under 3 months?

well the D90 on the end of a tripod makes a decent weapon - beat the burser round the head enough times and he will sign off any amount ;)

As for the group I would change your stance on comments - on flickr is very very easy for a group to grow very big on uploaded images and have little to no comments made because people just spam their images to the group on a daily basis (up to the limit) and then leave to do the same with the other 1001 images they have - leads to some daft uploads when you have (say) a macro group and someone uploads 5 landscape images!
I don't know what your upload limit is but try not to make it too high = also something like: post one comment on previous 3/comment on 3 - for example might help the group start communicating a bit more than just image posting. Having a few mods as well as yourself to follow things up is also good - banning any member who is just comment harvesting and not returning the favour. This all sounds rather strickt for just a flickr group, but its my experience that if you don't have this then the group tends to never gel together unless the group promote discussion a lot by its title - by titles yours might not promote that from the outset (something like the canon or nikon groups tend to get a lot of talk (very repetative gear talk of course ;)) but talk all the same.)

What exactly did you do with sports at your school to earn $5-6k in under 3 months?

Seriously. I've been kind of wondering the same thing. As an electrician, I do lots of side jobs on the weekend and get upwards of $50-75/hr for my services (which is several times more than my regular hourly wage), but in no way have I ever scored enough money to purchase something like the equipment Alex Coleman has. I'm not bangin' on the kid--rather I'm happy for him that he is meeting early success with his photography. I'm sure that there are some professional photographers who would like to know his secret...:mrgreen:

and remember he goes to junior high lol. Yea what's your secret, b/c I can use some extra cash.

I think he's using his camera to take incriminating photos of the "A-list" jocks and "A-list" girls in compromising situations with kids in the "lower caste" of the school. Extortion can be very profitable.

Seriously. I've been kind of wondering the same thing. As an electrician, I do lots of side jobs on the weekend and get upwards of $50-75/hr for my services (which is several times more than my regular hourly wage), but in no way have I ever scored enough money to purchase something like the equipment Alex Coleman has. I'm not bangin' on the kid--rather I'm happy for him that he is meeting early success with his photography. I'm sure that there are some professional photographers who would like to know his secret...:mrgreen:
Just a guess, but if you live at home and have no bills and likely don't even pay taxes on the money you're making on the side... it wouldn't take too long to come up with $3k to buy a D700 w/lens.

Heck, a couple wedding gigs and you could do that.

Now, if he were out on his own paying rent/mortgage, making a car payment, paying bills, credit cards, etc. like most of us in our 30's and 40's... yeah, it becomes much harder to ferret away $3k for a camera.

I say kudo's to him for 1) being enterprising enough to earn that kind of money, 2) for being able to save that kind of money without spending it before getting to his goal, 3) having an interest in something he's willing to work so hard for.

:D

Yep, my thoughts exactly. When I was a kid, I remember doing odd jobs over the summer and getting a few thousand. And this was being lazy. I wish I had the initiative to get into photography then, but I wasn't into the whole darkroom thing at 15.

I can echo what everyone else says here. I've not always agreed with the things Alex has to say on this forum, but to have earned such nice equipment at such a young age, and to have the desire to do something productive with his life instead of sitting around playing video games or smoking illicit herbs all day, is very inspiring.

I can echo what everyone else says here. I've not always agreed with the things Alex has to say on this forum, but to have earned such nice equipment at such a young age, and to have the desire to do something productive with his life instead of sitting around playing video games or smoking illicit herbs all day, is very inspiring.

I don't disagree with but the reason I ask is that it's not particularly easy to make money with sports photography, especially as a beginner, and at the same time he has yet to post any sports work, etc, and evaporates when someone asks to see pictures.

I'm interested how he made the money largely because I want to look at integrating his practices into my own, but at the same time I am just curious.

Wow, that all spiraled out of control. To address any questions,

I have no bills, so it was quite easy, I shot 28 little league teams, selling photos to parents and coaches, and also shoot at my school, the Senior high next door, and two other junior highs.

Apparently, the parents, students all enjoy the experience. I make 75% of sales, out of those that look, mainly because it is something new.

Back OT, that is good advice about the group. Thanks.

Most reactions

Back