New Flickr Group

I guess the main thing I'm wondering, is if (and I'm assuming he did earn the money through selling photos) to earn the D700 then why on earth is he starting a group for beginning photographers?

I mean, one would assume he believes he's more than a beginner if he's gotten parents to pay him 3 grand for photos over the course of a couple of months.

I dunno.

I guess it depends on your definition of "beginner".

At 15 years old (is that Alex's age? Slaphead mentioned 15, so I'm just going to go with that) I think it's safe to assume that he still has a lot to learn, and a lot of room for improvement. If he is "that good" at 15, imagine what another 10 years of experience will get him.

...Just saying - just because he's good, doesn't mean he isn't still learning.

oh, absolutely. but then again I would say that everybody is still learning. It's just that in other posts I've seen him refer to others as noobs and the like. Which I guess is what I assume to be a beginner.

I guess I'm just saying I would assume that there are levels between beginner and master, and I would assume that he would fall into one of those in between levels.

I guess I'm just saying I would assume that there are levels between beginner and master, and I would assume that he would fall into one of those in between levels.

Yeah, I get what you mean. Most of us here are probably in that "in between" zone somewhere. It makes me wonder - how long is someone a "beginner"? Is it based on time (years of experience), or ability?

...Just a question to think over. I know there is no "right" answer, and I don't expect you (or anyone else) to answer it, but if you feel like it - go ahead.

I joined, and added you as well. :D

The best piece of advice I was ever given, related to aviation at the time, but I've found it applies to so much more in life too.It went somewhere along the lines of, "The day you stop learning, is the day you stop (flying, photographing, etc)"

Myself, I try and live my life along the lines of the old adage "learn something new every day", and if I stop learning, I stop doing that activity.

Last edited:
Surprisingly strong feelings about me or young photographers in general. I am actually starting a group for teen photographers, not beginner, and I apologize if I mistyped that in any post.

Yes, I am 15

who cares if he's 15? even if he didn't earn it and his parents are filthy rich, who cares? if my parents were rich and I was 15 id ask for a 5D Mark II in a heartbeat. People are just envious is all. We all would take advantage of rich parents if that were the case. Good for you Alex. Wish I could earn ANY money on anything I take pictures of. but I suck, so i cant.

As a mom, I can easily see how Alex can earn enough money to buy a camera over the course of a few months getting us to buy pics of our kids. Even though I have THOUSANDS of pictures of my daughters, I still buy those stupid school pictures they sell for WAY too much with dorky smiles next to cheesy backdrops, because how do you turn down a picture of your own kid? I know for a fact that if a 15 year old asked to take pictures of my kids and wanted me to buy them, I guarantee you I would. Not for the pictures, but mostly to encourage HIM. It is so nice to see a teenager doing something productive. Good for Alex for finding his niche and having the maturity at 15 to pursue this. Even if his parents bought the camera, etc. etc. It's still great to see kids find a healthy hobby that keeps them busy and out of trouble.

How long?

Zack Arias - Atlanta based editorial music photographer » Transform :: A short film for ScottKelby.com

As long as it takes - and if those who are "masters" are anything to go by then you will never stop learning

This is easily the best photogrophilosophy rant I've ever heard. Thank you so much for sharing.

My thoughts on the content of this thread:

Someone else's equipment: Not worth worrying about, fretting over, or envying.
Someone else's work: Worth obsessing over, struggling with, envying, and losing your mind about. At the end of the day, you just might be better because of it. Good luck saying that about the first one.

I would love to sell my sports photography to parents...but the school yelled at me when I tried to ask them if I could. Something about it being their responsibility for the kids if anything happened, though i'm not sure why its an issue if I'm only selling to the parents of the kids.

anyways, good job with the money

wow very insperational video!

Most reactions

Back