New freelancing, suggestions please

Status
Not open for further replies.
tirediron said:
Just the obvious one - practice! Some of the skills that separate the "men from the boys" photographically speaking are things like using both eyes; that is, keeping one eye on the scene through the viewfinder, and the other looking around the camera at the 'big picture'. Learn to anticipate, learn to track and learn to pan. There are members here who are FAR more skilled at children's portraiture than am I, and who can doubtless give you more pointed advice, but at the end of the day, it really is all about practice.

Thank you. So tying them up is not a solution ? :).( Just kidding. )

Steve, if you don't mind... I'd really appreciate it if you could cite where someone suggested that they trash any one of their photos? You seemed to take great offense, and it could be that I simply missed the post in which it was suggested that someone suggested to the OP that they trash any of their photos.

While not directed at any one image specifically, it's in post #9 of this thread, essentially saying that if it's family or friends saying the images are good, they probably belong in the trash.

Comments such as that are simply uncalled for, juvenile and worthless...

Last edited:
Steve5D said:
While not directed at any one image specifically, it's in post #9 of this thread, essentially saying that if it's family or friends saying the images are good, they probably belong in the trash.

I hear what was said here, but it could have been said a bit more diplomatically. Less bull china shop approach. If I had been a young 18 / 20 year old, which luckily I'm not any more, I might totally be put off. But really I do get what is actually meant by the comment. If only mommy and daddy are saying little johnny what lovely pictures you have, they might not actually be good pictures.

I am really enjoying this forum now , now that I know my way around, and hopefully I've become less of a bull in a china shop.

Steve, if you don't mind... I'd really appreciate it if you could cite where someone suggested that they trash any one of their photos? You seemed to take great offense, and it could be that I simply missed the post in which it was suggested that someone suggested to the OP that they trash any of their photos.

The fact of the matter is that family and friends like everything that is shot by their family and friends. People hesitate to show me their happy snaps for fear I will be critical of them, they are just happy snaps, I know the fifference, I also know that these people have no thoughts of turning into professional photographers. If some shows me a photo and says "In your professional opinion, what do you think" They would get a different response.

I grew up having everything I shot critiqued by my Dad, both good and bad, he told me the truth. He has also been one of Canada's greatest photojournalists for the past 60 years, so in my case my family didn't lie to me about my work. This really isn't the usual case.

tirediron said:
Absolutely not! The rope can leave unsightly marks on the skin which you'll have to remove in post. Either use a mild opiate or duct-tape!

Duct tape also leaves marks when removed? So drugs it is? Lol.

Wave a horrible sandwich in front of a starving man and he will tell you its a great sandwich. I know most of my family and close friends are going to think my shots are great, but I take them to places like this where people are knowledgable about a great photo and a snapshot to get a true idea of where I stand. Some people on here do come off very gruff but you still generally get good info and good critiques. Remember its the interenet. words can only hurt you if you let them.

You should definitely invest in at least one more speed light (530ex Speedlight) At least one (preferably 2) freestanding umbrellas with flash mount and a soft box. You may also want to consider a monopod, they offer a lot more freedom without losing stability. You don't need much more than the two lenses that you have, but for efficiency, I keep two camera bodies on me. You may also want to consider Lightroom for editing, (not give up photoshop, its always useful but lightroom is amazing for portraits etc)

Thank you. So tying them up is not a solution ? :).( Just kidding. )
Absolutely not! The rope can leave unsightly marks on the skin which you'll have to remove in post. Either use a mild opiate or duct-tape!

Does remind me of a new story around here this last week, guy and girl take there 4 kids to get more alcoho (they were both drunk.) so upon leaving the liquor store they strapped the kids to the roof of the car and started home. A cop spotted them and pulled them over and the guy said he thought they would enjoy being strapped to the roof.

Does remind me of a new story around here this last week, guy and girl take there 4 kids to get more alcoho (they were both drunk.) so upon leaving the liquor store they strapped the kids to the roof of the car and started home. A cop spotted them and pulled them over and the guy said he thought they would enjoy being strapped to the roof.

I left the Indy area about 8 years ago. Since then, it seems like everytime I turn on the news, or Cops or some show like that, they have the goofiest, illiterate, inbreed they can find on there. I know the majority of people arent like that, so why is it that's all you hear or see?

I left the Indy area about 8 years ago. Since then, it seems like everytime I turn on the news, or Cops or some show like that, they have the goofiest, illiterate, inbreed they can find on there. I know the majority of people arent like that, so why is it that's all you hear or see?

Sounds like you left when i got here, I moved here fron Cincinnati about 10 years ago and Indy was a step up. But news now a days likes to dig up the oddest out there stuff they can find to draw viewers in.

okay, back on topic lol

JLNM.PHOTO said:
You should definitely invest in at least one more speed light (530ex Speedlight) At least one (preferably 2) freestanding umbrellas with flash mount and a soft box. You may also want to consider a monopod, they offer a lot more freedom without losing stability. You don't need much more than the two lenses that you have, but for efficiency, I keep two camera bodies on me. You may also want to consider Lightroom for editing, (not give up photoshop, its always useful but lightroom is amazing for portraits etc)

Thank you that's great advice. I have one speed light already. It was lighting I was struggling with. Soft box was on my list. I wasn't sure about umbrellas or not. And from what I gather Lr is a pretty good tool and must have. Thank you.

tirediron said:

Duct tape also leaves marks when removed? So drugs it is? Lol.

Gaffers Tape!

for the sake of consistency, i'll post my standard reply. but this is the last time.

someone said i did a good job unclogging their toilet, i can now post here: Plumbing Zone - Professional Plumbers Forum

oh and how much do i charge? ok thats it - i'm retired from these type of threads. take care.

The fact of the matter is that family and friends like everything that is shot by their family and friends. People hesitate to show me their happy snaps for fear I will be critical of them, they are just happy snaps, I know the fifference, I also know that these people have no thoughts of turning into professional photographers. If some shows me a photo and says "In your professional opinion, what do you think" They would get a different response.

I grew up having everything I shot critiqued by my Dad, both good and bad, he told me the truth. He has also been one of Canada's greatest photojournalists for the past 60 years, so in my case my family didn't lie to me about my work. This really isn't the usual case.

Doesn't matter.

The comment was rude, unconstructive, and profoundly juvenile.

It added absolutely nothing to the conversation...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back