New Gear Syndrome or a real need?

Upgrade the body. The D610 is newer than the D800e, yet you want to get the D800e over the D610 because the D610 is old? Make sure the D800e is not an overkill for you.

Upgrade the body. The D610 is newer than the D800e, yet you want to get the D800e over the D610 because the D610 is old? Make sure the D800e is not an overkill for you.

You're shooting Fuji now?
What happened to the d7000 & d600 (or d700) ?

As I told Brightbynature via PM--in a few weeks, the used camera dealers across the world will be FLOODED with trade-in and consignment bodies, as the prosumer/equipment junkies RUSH to be the very FIRST ones to sell their current rigs, in order to raise cash for "the next big thing". This is of course based on the rumored June 26 Nikon announcement of a new d-slr body.

The whole new gear syndrome or real need issue...that's a toughie. It's usually best to stay away from camera stores or camera sections when you feel that way...remember, you JUST bought a fancy new lens like..a month back...and as I recall it was sort of a spontaneous purchase...

Or you could sell all your nikon gear and buy all Canon gear !

Now that world be a upgrade !

I own the 14-24 and really do hate it. Paid 1,700ish and have really used the lens twice. Beautiful colors but just a weird lens, I have yet to find uses and for all of those who say landscapes... No.

The D610/e is now pretty old.

The D610 isn't even a year old yet! :biglaugh:

The d610 is the d600 with a small update. The d610 is for all intents and purposes just as old as the d600.

Ok. Let me adjust my previous post:

The D600 isn't even two years old. :biglaugh:

I'm just having a laugh. Don't mind me. When I see the phrase "pretty old", I tend to think 30+years. My 85 1.4D ​must be an ancient relic by those standards.

I own the 14-24 and really do hate it. Paid 1,700ish and have really used the lens twice. Beautiful colors but just a weird lens, I have yet to find uses and for all of those who say landscapes... No.

Wouldn't that be the focal length you hate rather than the lens? Amazing work can be done with that lens.

It's true...that would be like moving from Florida to Arkansas!

There are some nice sinkholes in Arkansas, from what I hear tell! ;-)

I think maybe this is GAS....do you have some Beano, or Gas-X in the medicine chest??? Or are we gonna need to call the veterinarian and have him come out and puncture you, you know--before "the bloat" causes you to founder and then have to be "put down" ???

Why would anyone in their right mind want a Canon camera !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now that would be a down grade !!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
You're all right. It's GAS. My wife's been telling me I've had it for ages. Not sure you're both talking about the same thing, but either way... :)

After a disappointing experience yesterday with a store in Portland and a mix up over stock and what's available, I've decided fate probably wasn't wanting me to upgrade the body.

So, money transferred into savings, and unlike my England in the world cup, I get to live another day.

GASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASAUSAGESGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGASGAS

The real problem with GAS, is that usually, you're projecting what you think you will be able to feel after you acquire those amazing new capabilities. In practice, most of the "new" capabilities are incremental improvements, and other than the "new gear smell", it rarely delivers on the expectations. I see the same thing about fellow bikies lusting after the newest derailer technology, or the 20-gram seat-post. I see fellow kayakers wanting the latest 30 lb. carbon-fiber/kevlar racing boat, or the 100 gm. carbon blade paddle. Same with computer gear, or smartphones, or cookware. Reality is that usually the primary limitiation is the person himself/herself - whether it be skill or technique or fitness or attitude. And that limitation, whatever it is, takes much more effort and dedication to overcome. Whenever I get GAS (almost daily, unfortunately), I think about what I can't do now that I could do with the new stuff - and usually, the feeling subsides and I can focus on more productive uses of my time. But that's me. In the end, my image-making would improve dramatically if I got up earlier than I like to, went to more pictureque places that I usually do, took more time to study the light, thought harder about what makes a particular image interesting, and in general seeked out the places and circumstances that inherently have image-making potential. Getting a full-frame, low-noise camera won't help me if I'm sleeping in.;)

You're shooting Fuji now? What happened to the d7000 & d600 (or d700) ?

Yeah I am. After long consideration I sold all my DSLR stuff camera, flash and lenses and bought into the mirrorless system. My DSLR was just not getting the use it deserves because of size and weight. Now I have my camera on me all the time so in that sense it's great.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back