New grounds for me!

JaimeGibb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey there

So I was contacted by a woman who wants me to shoot her companys corporate event. She wants a group shot, 150 of which need to be printed that night and sent home with the guests. She also needs me to take individual and couple shots to be displayed online where the guests can order them later.

I shoot portraits of children and families mostly, a few events and some models. I have never had to print something on-site so this is where I am stuck. I don't want to accept this job until I figure out if I can afford to purchase everything needed to do so and still make some sort of profit or break even.

So I guess I need to know how to go about doing this. I guess I would need to bring my laptop and a printer, but can I use a standard printer? Will a standard printer print 150 photos? I guess it would but would I need extra ink? How do YOU guys do this?! Ha. Thanks a ton :) The good thing about this job is that it would force me to get the equipment I would need to expand myself a little more. I never jumo on gigs like these because I dont print on site! Thanks a ton :)

If your printer can print 1 copy every 60 seconds it will take 2 1/2 hours to print 150 copies.

How many images can you print before you have to replace ink cartirdges? If it's every 20 images you'll replace ink cartridges at least 7 times.

For a corporate event I would recommend I would highly recommend 2 of everything (including computers) and a 3rd printer just in case.

Wow, thanks for the advice guys! Good math skills...haha. Shes saying now she may just order the prints after and hand them out, which would be a lot easier on me!

I have a upcoming event somewhat on the same lines, but nothing like it.

#1 - Have an assistant to handle the importing/editing and prints while you shoot. Have multiple memory cards.

#2 (or #1) If your camera has the setting, shoot RAW and fine JPEG. The JPEGs are for on the night and RAW can be used later (with proper time to edit) on your For Sale gallery. Set the JPEG files in camera for the best possible saturation / contrast, etc.

#3 At least have an external flash on the hotshoe.

#4 Grow a third arm.

#5 One thought that just hit me..... rent a polaroid for the instant gratification shots as give aways....

#6 Muultiple printers, plenty of ink cartridges.

#7 Business cards and website info for veiwing/purchasing gallery.

#8 Tequila afterwards..... job well done.

I don't know... seems like a lot of work, but could become quite handy in the future.

Just my 2¢... I'm sure there's plenty more to consider.

Yes, ask Kundalini stated ... shoot RAW+JPEG.
Put the JPEG group shot on a stick/card ... then send someone to a Photofinishing/Printing shot to get 150 copies made.

It is cheaper than using your own photo printer ... and many times faster.

Wow be sure to factor in the costs of those ink cartridges.

I did an event similar in nature in the fact that the client wanted 100 prints the night of.
The way I ended up working it out is, I called my print shop prior to the event and explained to them my situation of needing an elephant load of prints within 2 hours of me getting them the files.They were more than happy to help.
I took the group shots, edited them right away, and then had a buddy of mine(my assistant for the night who I am very greatfull to know) drop off the files at the print shop and bam, about 20 minutes later, I had my 100 prints.

best advice I can think of, is when under pressure your level of performance falls to your level of preparation. Also...K.I.S.S Keep It Simple Stupid :D

Good luck and let us know how it went.

Wow thanks so much for all the great feedback!!! I appreciate it a ton!!!

Could I suggest that the lady in question supplies you with an email address for each person. Then send an email that night with photo attached. Sending 150 emails is a lot easier than printing 150 images on site. You could then include your gallarey address in the email so that they can purchase the othe pics.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back