New guy from Australia

toofarjimmy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey how's everyone going? I'm actually going to ask some advice right off the bat. I'm travelling to India and want to catalogue my trip with my camera. Any advice for travelling with the camera in that environment?

Also i'm in Ottawa right now, it's really cold. Can extreme cold damage the camera?

Thanks everyone for your attention

Catch ya!

I have no answers to your questions.....but can I welcome you anyway??

Welcome!!!!

:O)

Hello TFJ, and welcome to TPF!

I wouldn't be opening the camera and changing lenses in this extreme cold if you can help it. And if you can, keep your camera tucked in your jacket to keep it warm. Batteries don't last terribly long in the cold, so carry spares, and keep them close to your body so they stay warm too. When you go inside, let the camera 'warm up' before you use it, as it will likely fog up when moving from the extreme cold to the warmth. That's pretty basic stuff, but I hope it helps

Are you going to go skating on the Canal? I assume it's open already, with these cold temperatures!

Thanks guys. By the way Antarctican, i will skate on the canal atleast once before i move to Toronto in the next two weeks.

Welcome aboard.

You do a lot of traveling...From Australia, in Ottawa and going to India?

You probably don't have to worry too much about the cold damaging your camera. I've had my cameras out in pretty cold temps and they are OK...but the batteries die very quickly. The bigger concern is condensation. When you bring something cold into a warm & humid environment, it will get condensation all over it....which could mean inside and outside of your camera.
So not only should you avoid using it when you bring it in from the cold, but you should protect it from the warm air. The best thing to do, would be to seal it in a zip-lock bag until the camera has warmed up. If you don't have a plastic bag, keep it zipped up in a camera bag until it has a chance to warm up.

Welcome to TPF.

Most reactions

Back