New guy here, just having some fun.

cpolaris502

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just picked up my first DSLR camera a few days ago, I got a Canon 500D and I love it! 18-55mm kit lense on it. I have always like taking pictures and am trying to get more serious with it now.

Here's some of my favorite photos I have taken with it so far, mostly just playing around. let me know what you think, im still a newb at photography.
IMG_8794toon.jpg

My '99 Blazer (one of my main subjects)
IMG_8751.jpg

IMG_8681.jpg

And my 2 year old Golden Retriever, Barney. (another popular subject)
IMG_8700.jpg

IMG_8712.jpg

IMG_8816.jpg

My brother's car, '88 Camaro
IMG_8655.jpg

That Blazer! My Eyes!!! (I have a lifted 07 4Runner that I use for offroading, so no offense)

Haha, welcome. Try to make your shots look less like snapshots. When you see something you want to take a picture of, pause and walk around for a few minutes until you see where you want to take it from. Your dog for instance. try a different angle; all three are taken from the side.

Haha yeah, not everyone is into street-only trucks. No problem with that.

And thanks for the info, I'll take whatever I can get.

#1. It's close to being interesting, but it's just not quite there. I'm not sure what thought or emotion it's suppose to convey, if any. Are you trying to make a product shot for John Deer? If so, it's not really suited for that. The editing isn't very palatable either. The leaves look a little fake in some places and it doesn't really add anything to the image.

#2. I'm not sure what the subject of this picture is. The lighting is bad, the WB is off, and the white dot in the sky I assume is the moon (which is poorly exposed). You need to pick a subject and figure out a way to get a shot that's creative and focuses on that particular subject. Don't clutter your scenes with stuff. Also, make sure you properly expose. In low light, get a tripod and cable release so you can avoid motion blur from camera shake and also get the proper exposure.

#3. The image is under exposed and if the subject is the car - the house is distracting. If the car were in a better location (without the house and harsh light of the garage) and if it were properly exposed, it might be pretty cool given what I see of the sky.

#4, 5, 6. Sorry man, these are uninteresting snapshots of a pooch. I'm with ya, I love my dog, but honestly such pics are better in the family album than they are as examples of your photography work. :)

#7. You call this picture "My brother's car, '88 Camaro" but all I see is the ass end of it. This isn't exactly the most flattering part of the car. You've got a rear wheel and a fraction of a tail light visible... the IROC is cut out and the colors are flat on the car as well (can be fixed in PS).

Keep shooting man, you'll get it figured out. :)

I appreciate all of the tips! I was pretty happy with car shots but I guess I'll have to try harder lol. Thanks, I'm looking forward to improving.

I'd like #3 if the garage door was down.
#7 without the car.

(I am not big on car shots, so take me with a grain of salt, please)

The best way to learn is to take so many pictures you are sick of taking pictures and wonder why you took so many. Then and only then will you learn that you have to 100 pictures to get that 1 good one you wanted. :) LOL keep on shooting....keep on shooting..
I have been shooting for 10 years and I am still learning.....

The best way to learn is to take so many pictures you are sick of taking pictures and wonder why you took so many. Then and only then will you learn that you have to 100 pictures to get that 1 good one you wanted. :) LOL keep on shooting....keep on shooting..
I have been shooting for 10 years and I am still learning.....

QFT. I've been shooting ad nauseum since I started, and thank goodness, I've actually improved! (Well, I think so anyway.) Practise is the best way to learn what works and what doesn't.

Unless you're Ken Rockwell. Out of every 10 images he takes, 11 are keepers.:lol:

Unless you're Ken Rockwell. Out of every 10 images he takes, 11 are keepers.:lol:
Well, that was before Ken got his technique figured out and back when he was still shooting the D3. He's now shooting the D40 with an SB600 and he's got his keepers up to 15 out of 10.

Last edited:
If your Blazer is one of your main subjects, I hope it's got an engine. :lol: If it does, move it a different location. Preferably one that is beautiful in some way but doesn't overwhelm the vehicle.

I ran across a thread yesterday with truly beautiful photos of cars and I tried to find it again to give you a link but... no luck. :( What was interesting in that thread is that the photographer has no equipment besides his camera and lens. No lights, no reflectors, nothing. But the images were top notch.

So, here is my suggestion for inspiration: go to the library and check out some coffee-table type books on cars. While there, also get a book on the basics of design. Does not need to be a book on photography since design concepts are the same no matter what medium you work with. Study those then go out and shoot some more, and some more, and some more, until you get better. Then, shoot some more because we can always get better no matter what level we're at.

And if I find that thread again, I will come back and post it.

I like Number 3...I don't really have any comments outside of what others have already posted...but you have something with that number 3...great work on that one....

Most reactions

Back