New guy looking for opinions

97CobraTiny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, I just picked up a Canon EOS Rebel XS and would like opinions form the photography guru's. I only have what came with the camera, no upgraded flash, lens, or tripod. Almost all of my pics are of cars and I'm learning to do some night pics. I have read the manuals that came with the camera and have learned a few things just by trail and error playing with the settings. Here is a few of my favorites, let me know what you guys think.

EDIT--sorry guys Im new to this and put too many up there, thanks to Keith for pointing that out and now I know. All the pics that should be left are moving car shots and I'm looking to see what I could do to perfect my shots. Also Im want to try these at night, is there anything I should know going in that make them look the best and/or save me some time. I had the camera in TV mode with a somewhat long shutter speed. In all honesty I just played with the setting till I started getting the shots I like.

aperture - not sure what this is
ISO - auto

If there is anything else I need to provide please let me know.
I see that the vert is very bright, not sure why that is, it doesn;t look that bright on the camera.

Thanks
97CobraTiny

IMG_1378.jpg

IMG_1392.jpg

IMG_1331.jpg

Last edited:
No one is commenting because you put up way to much stuff.

If you want critique, or more than just general comments, cut it back to just a couple of images, number the images, and include shooting info (shutter speed, aperture, ISO WB, mode).

In a couple of your car shots the white balance was way off.

Google and Wikipedia are good sources for technical photographic information.

Thanks for posting, I always like looking at snapshots.

No one is commenting because you put up way to much stuff.

If you want critique, or more than just general comments, cut it back to just a couple of images, number the images, and include shooting info (shutter speed, aperture, ISO WB, mode).

In a couple of your car shots the white balance was way off.

Google and Wikipedia are good sources for technical photographic information.

Thanks for posting, I always like looking at snapshots.

Thanks Keith, edit has been done. If there is anything else please feel free to let me know

First of all, I am rather new to photography too. Hello and welcome to the forum. I like number 2 the best, but it would be helped if you cropped out the red (from the "chase" car) in the bottom right. I would also crop out the power lines in the upper left. It would make for a less-distracting photo, and put the emphasis on the car.

If you are not sure of certain terms, a basic introduction to photography would help you. Aperture is the size of the opening in the lens. It is one of the three factors that control how much light you let into the photograph. (The other two being shutter speed and ISO). Understand these three, and what affect they have on one another.

Overall, you are off to a good start. Keep shooting.
-Andy

First of all, I am rather new to photography too. Hello and welcome to the forum. I like number 2 the best, but it would be helped if you cropped out the red (from the "chase" car) in the bottom right. I would also crop out the power lines in the upper left. It would make for a less-distracting photo, and put the emphasis on the car.

If you are not sure of certain terms, a basic introduction to photography would help you. Aperture is the size of the opening in the lens. It is one of the three factors that control how much light you let into the photograph. (The other two being shutter speed and ISO). Understand these three, and what affect they have on one another.

Overall, you are off to a good start. Keep shooting.
-Andy

Thank you Andy, good info. I know ISO and shutter speed, and now aperture. I should say I know how to adjust the ISO and shutter speeds but what to use in what application, I don't know. So like I said earlier I usually just play with the settings till I get what I'm looking for. Once again thanks for all the info. Basic Introduction to Photography, is that a book, magazine, website?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back