new guy... need help in camera purchase

R3scondite

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I was looking for a digital camera because i feel like it's time for me to get my own

im a regular guy who just wants a decent camera to take pics while traveling and with friends and such.

my price range is set to 180 or below ish and since i prefer canon i was thinking of getting something like

Canon SD 750

Any suggestions for other companies or models? Like Sony or Casio or any other places/models that's within the price range, MACRO IS A MUST?

(though i do regular picture taking i am above the avg in using the cameras so i will most likely use almsot all of its features when i get one)

p.s. i really dislike using AA/AAA batteries for camera, i've had bad experiences with this

I would suggest going to the Canon website and comparing the different models that have the features you want, and then doing the same for the other major P&S brands.

The 'What camera do I buy' question, especially in such a diverse field as P&S is one that no one can really answer but you. Hopefully someone has personal experience with the model you've mentioned.

Today, my daughter bought the Canon A590-IS. After getting it home, I was not impressed at all. It had all the nice features to it, but felt really cheap, used AA batteries and an MMC card, which the place that sold it, didn't even have that card separately.

She took it back and got a SONY CyberShot that replaced her old Cybershot that a friend dropped and broke. For a small P&S, I like it. Small, compact, Rechargable battery, does video, and takes a decent pic. And other than dropping it on concrete lens first, its pretty rugged.

I like Canon, but was disappointed in the A590. Its not the same P&S you mentioned, but for the price you are looking at, SONY would be a good choice.

Hope that helps.

Today, my daughter bought the Canon A590-IS. After getting it home, I was not impressed at all. It had all the nice features to it, but felt really cheap, used AA batteries and an MMC card, which the place that sold it, didn't even have that card separately.
The issue I have with your statement highlighted in red. What difference does using AA batteries have? I have AA batteries for my camera. For a small pocket P&S, you buy a package of 4 AA NiMH batteries and a charger for $15. That gives you normally 2 sets of batteries to use for the small P&S cameras as opposed to buying a priority Li-Ion battery pack from the camera company for $50.

She took it back and got a SONY CyberShot that replaced her old Cybershot that a friend dropped and broke. For a small P&S, I like it. Small, compact, Rechargable battery, does video, and takes a decent pic. And other than dropping it on concrete lens first, its pretty rugged.

I like Canon, but was disappointed in the A590. Its not the same P&S you mentioned, but for the price you are looking at, SONY would be a good choice.

Hope that helps.
Not all Sony cameras are the same, not all CyberShot cameras are the same, not all Canon cameras are the same, etc, etc, etc. You can't just imply that a Sony CyberShot is a nice camera. There are probably at least 5 CyberShots out on the market that I can think of. I purchased a Sony CyberShot and it was a piece of garbage.

Mine was the DSC-S650, which is basically the same as the DSC-S700. Those cameras are complete garbage and I couldn't take a decent picture with it in broad daylight, let alone anywhere inside with just lights on. My mother-in-law bought the same camera on the same day. Her conclusions were identical to mine. I was replacing a 7 year old 2 MP Fuji and she was replacing a 5 year old 3 MP Olympus. We both would have been better off with keeping our old cameras over purchasing the model of CyberShot that we did. We both returned the Sony.

The CyberShot W series on the other hand, are very nice compact cameras. My sister-in-law bought the CyberShot DSC-W50 around the same time I got my Sony. That was a very nice camera. It took great snapshots (auto mode, as I didn't know anything about photography at the time and didn't have the ability to play with the camera outside of auto).

You have to be very careful of recommending a piece of equipment, especially with the compact point and shoots. All of Sony's cameras are called CyberShot and they range a very broad spectrum of quality.

The camera seems pretty decent but it's 100 more expensive than the canon SD750, also it seems as if almost all of the specs are the same or less than that of the canon's so if i was gonna choose between the two i would go with the canon

You may also want to check with place like dpreview.com and see which one work for you the best.

Yes, there are a lot of point and shoot type camera out there. And different people have different expectation. Some people like to have a responsive camera. Like hit the power button and start taking picture within a second. Some may prefer more control on the settings. Some may want one that he/she can put it in his/her pocket. And that is why it is very hard to recommend one.

So my recommendation is check out dpreview.com and look at some of the camera reviews. Of course, if you have questions, come back here and see if we have an answer for you. :)

I've just bought a Panasonic DMC-FX33. It's end of line as far as the model range in concerned, but inevitably there is a direct (and more expensive) replacement in the new line up. It takes good sharp pictures, is easy to use, has a macro feature and didn't cost a lot. I did a brief bit of market research in some magazines to see what had done well in tests, then went and had a look at one in person. Nice camera all in all, but still have a bit more menu exploration to do.

i think i've narrowed my search to these:

SD 750 ($175)
SD 1000 ($177)
SD 700 ($100)

all by cannon

The reason I have 700 up there is that it actually trumps some of the features of the 750 w/ the IS and all, however, it seems that the 1000 is a new version of the 700.

so i guess ultimately which would be better? 750 or 1000? i can't really catch the difference

*edit*
argg canon's website tells me that they r exactly the same except the slightly cheaper 750 has a larger LCD

so i guess it's LCD size over IS feature? is IS feature really that good?

i think i've narrowed my search to these:

SD 750 ($175)
SD 1000 ($177)
SD 700 ($100)

all by cannon

The reason I have 700 up there is that it actually trumps some of the features of the 750 w/ the IS and all, however, it seems that the 1000 is a new version of the 700.

so i guess ultimately which would be better? 750 or 1000? i can't really catch the defference

$2.00...

...and there's a bigger LCD screen on the 750

yes but there is the IS feature...

also wat's all of this i keep getting about lens problems and canon SD's being fragile? is this something i should be concerned about or are they mostly unfounded and just unlucky?

Can't help there, as I've never touched one. Check them out at the store and see if it feels fragile to you - look up one of the FX33's too whilst you're at it, if only for comparison purposes.

Haha

thank you, all of you for your help, esp Chris of Arabia

because in the end wat started out as a split btw 3 canon cameras turned out to me buying a panasonic FX-33(silver)

because it was on sale and was supieror in everything cept for the LCD size and the fact that it didn't have color accent but i think the 30 dollar in saving along w/ 1+ mp and IS feature more than enough make up for those loses (one of which I can replace with photoshop)

so thanks for all the help...

oh btw now that i've bought this is it a good idea to buy extra battery for it?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back