New Guy Needs Some Help

Trvn

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Good evening to y'all! i was just wondering if anyone could spare a few tips, ive recently dove into the world of DSLR's and i could use the help.

i have a canon eos 50d, with a 28-135mm kit lens at the moment, but im looking for a lens that would be good for macro shots, and something for night shots.

i was also wondering what programs are best for touching up shots.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks guys! : )

Try photoshop elements. Its not as good as real photoshop, but its about 1/10th of the price and will tell you what you need and don't need (could be all you need, and then you won't waste your money).

As far as lens choices, asking on here is great. Also B&H is your friend.

Canon | 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro Autofocus Lens | 2537A003 | B&H

Try photoshop elements. Its not as good as real photoshop, but its about 1/10th of the price and will tell you what you need and don't need (could be all you need, and then you won't waste your money).

As far as lens choices, asking on here is great. Also B&H is your friend.

Canon | 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro Autofocus Lens | 2537A003 | B&H

I think adobe has a student discount for cs4 extended $199 and lightroom for $99 go to the website for details. and i agree bhphotovideo.com is where i go for everything

+1 on BH. Depending on what range you are looking for I would recommend this lens for a decent priced lens with a better zoom range. I have used this lens and I was very surprised at the quality it offered for the price. I think you would be happy with it.

Sigma | 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO DG Macro Autofocus Lens | 508101

I would check on Ebay for a LEGAL copy of CS3. Most places tend to weed it out for cheap when new stuff comes out.

Awesome thanks for the advice! Its nice to know people are willing to help out newcomers like myself.

good for macro shots,

What type ofmacro shots are you interested in? For insects type macro, a longer focal length lens is better since you do not want to stand too close to them while you are taking the photo.

I have a EF 100mm macro lens and sometimes I still feel that I stand too close. (Especially for bees)

something for night shots.

Again, it depends on the type of night shots. For example, you can use your kit lens to take a photo of a building or bridge at night. A tripod will be helpful in that case.

Also, knowing the budget is important for lens recommendation.

You can try GIMP to begin with. (Free)

i have a canon eos 50d, with a 28-135mm kit lens at the moment, but im looking for a lens that would be good for macro shots,
The EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens is macro capable if you haven't already tried it.
and something for night shots.
Hand held night shots? Or long exposure on a tripod night shots?
Photoshop CS4 if you got the money. Photoshop Element 7 is you don't want to spend too much. There are some free programs like GIMP, PhotoScape, Picasa, Pixia, Paint.NET...GIMP is the most powerful of the free choices. The others are not as powerful but easier to use.

I'm going to throw down another vote for GIMP... Its freakin sweet, I do all my editing with it and it will do most of the things that CS4 will. Best of all, its FRRRREEEEEEEEEeeeeeeee!!!

Yeah i have used the macro with my lens, but i guess I am looking for something with a longer focal length.

And as for night shots i wanna do long time exposure with a tripod.
And thanks guys for all the GIMP references, definitely gonna try it out!

Most reactions

Back