New guy with questions

AzDesertRat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all, been a member for not to long, been lurking trying to learn. I used the seach function on here, but did not find the answers I was looking for.

I am shopping for a Camera. I have taken the liking of the Canon Rebel XSi. My primary use will be outdoors, the Arizona Desert in particular.

I have a few questions. 1st, what is a Camera body compared to a kit?

I have been searching online allot, and found a website called Adormama.com, and then I saw it mentioned allot on here.

What is a good deal? I know nothing about cameras, but I love taking pictures. I have taken thousands of outdoor pics, but never with anything remotely close to professional grade camera's.

Here is a link to that website, what is the best deal out of all of them?
canon rebel xsi - Adorama.com

Also, would it be safe for the camera to fly many hours in a helicopter with all of the bad vibrations?

A1. Camera Body vs kit. Camera body - as it sounds just the body w/o the lens. Since lenses are interchangeable you get them separately OR get a kit package (body and lens). Generally, not always kit lenses aren't TOP-NOTCH glass, however, more often then not they are good enough for everyday shooting and should be good enough for what you described. As you further improve in your skill you'll learn that you might need another lens (wider, great zoom, faster, macro, etc etc) and you'll upgrade then.
A2. Price: I use B&H, Adorama and Focus Camera as the price guide (google those). If I see a better price somewhere, I call the 3 above and see who'll price match, usually they all do that. Your link shows some refurbished cameras. If purchasing from camera giants, USUALLY it is safe and they give you something like 90d guarantee. Also buying from their used dept is another alternative WHEN on the budget. New ones: the only dif in price I noticed was b/n the color of the body - some ppl care about it, others don't.
I've YET to learn that anyone had a problem flying with the camera, unless you drop it of course.
good luck

Also, if you see a company that has prices that are much less than ones at places like Adorama, B&H, and mpex.com, it's most likely a scam. There are a lot of places out there that pull bait and switch tactics. Unfortunately companies like Yahoo will even place them at the top of their searches as preferred vendors if they pay for advertising.

Good questions. Unfortunately, there are a lot of bad apples in the camera business. Buy only from reputable dealers.
B&H is highly regarded as honest and professional. I'm not implying the others aren't, it is just so many years since I dealt with them, I no longer know.
Always, and that means ALWAYS ask if the item you are buying has an American warranty and make sure it is not a gray market item.
Kits are usually money savers. Do make sure you are getting a quality lens, or lenses, with the kit.
Your questions indicate you are truly a beginner. You have done the wise thing by asking good questions. Do your homework before dropping the big bucks.
BTW, for outdoors, as you indicate. I strongly advise getting UV filters, also known as 'invisible lens caps' for all your lenses. And, circular polarizing filters can make most of your outdoor shots go from "nice" to "WOW". The extra investment will be well worth while.
Good luck and enjoy.

just remember you get what you pay for. a camera's an investment that should pay itself off in the long run. i really prefer anything that is nikon brand.

i'm no TPF Junkie or anything cloe to that - just another new guy around who is trying to figure out what to buy..

i'm not from the US so i have no knowledge about shops there so i'm no use in this area.

i can recommend this site - Find The Best Digital SLR Camera for You in 4 Easy Steps really helped alot, easy language and explainations on what you should look for in a Cam and lense. :)

hope it helps.

......Your link shows some refurbished cameras. If purchasing from camera giants, USUALLY it is safe and they give you something like 90d guarantee. Also buying from their used dept is another alternative WHEN on the budget.

Adorama gives a 90-day warranty on our used items, but a 12-month warranty on our Canon refurbished units!

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]
www.adorama.com

......Your link shows some refurbished cameras. If purchasing from camera giants, USUALLY it is safe and they give you something like 90d guarantee. Also buying from their used dept is another alternative WHEN on the budget.

Adorama gives a 90-day warranty on our used items, but a 12-month warranty on our Canon refurbished units!

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

[email protected]
www.adorama.com
What about on the brand new units? If that camera leaves the country and breaks, does it still fall under warranty?

What is a good lens to get for the outdoors? I want something that can zoom pretty good to get shots of mountains and sunsets, but something that is somewhat wide angle.

What about on the brand new units? If that camera leaves the country and breaks, does it still fall under warranty?

The official word is that Canon usually honors the one-year warranty in most First World countries... but no guarantees! Each country is different.

Nikon specifically says in the box 1 year worldwide and 4 years USA on most lenses.

Pentax and Olympus have a one-year international warranty.

So to be on the absolute safe side I'd always recommend an International Warranty, such as that offered by Mack if you are taking the unit outside the US; besides which, the Mack gives 3, 5 or 7 years - much beyond the one-year manufacturer warranty.
for example, mack - Adorama.com 5 year.

If you need warranty cover, you simply call Mack's 800# and they will tell you where to send it.
If you have any other specific questions relating to the warranty, you can call them in to 800-223-2500 or you can visit Mack Camera & Video Service | Worldwide Extended Service Contracts for details on their individual programs.
Desiree, the Customer Relations Supervisor for Mack is also available to answer any specific questions regarding the warranties and can be reached via email at [email protected].

Helen

What is a good lens to get for the outdoors? I want something that can zoom pretty good to get shots of mountains and sunsets, but something that is somewhat wide angle.

Price range? 70-200 is a great lens but if you want full range then 18-200 or 24-70 but for wide angle landscape 14-24 that is if you're using nikon idk if canon has a 14-24

@ AzDesetRat

I'll keep it straight up

I have a few questions. 1st, what is a Camera body compared to a kit?
Body does not include the lens or anything but the main body, kit has everything you need to get started and taking pictures (except a memory card)

What is a good deal? I know nothing about cameras, but I love taking pictures. I have taken thousands of outdoor pics, but never with anything remotely close to professional grade camera's.
A good deal would be having everything for around and under 1000 i think, at least that's how i started and it's lasted quite a while, a good body is crucial, then you can upgrade lens as you go, start out with a 15-55mm

Also, would it be safe for the camera to fly many hours in a helicopter with all of the bad vibrations?

Yes, it would be ok, since you are holding the camera nothing happens, your body takes most of the shock or vibration, worse case scenario your pics will come out blurry :)

"I want to take pictures of mountains and sunsets so i need lens that can zoom"
You actually want a wide angle camera for this, zoom is for exactly what the title explains, to zoom into things, so unless you are a couple hundred yards away you'll want a wide angle, a good one to start is 15-55mm.

Thanks Inst!nct. That makes it allot easier. As for the holding the camera part, I would not be holding the camera the whole time, I have to work, so I am going to have to say no on that one. The human body does absorb allot of vibrations, but not all. You would be surprised what a 6 hour flight will do to you, and the equipment you have on. Have you ever seen a root beer explode on you without you shaking it? Not fun at the time, but hilarious now.

What does everyone think of the camera I have chosen? Pro's/Con's? Please, not canon vs. Nikon. I don't want to hear it, I have read enough of all that this past week while I was looking around.

Most reactions

Back