new guy

lilwhitecoupe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
hey guys been looking to get in to photography, just using a sony dscw 30 p&s right now, here is some recent shots comments and suggestions welcome!

DSC01510.jpg

DSC01498.jpg

DSC01238.jpg

DSC01299.jpg

DSC01337.jpg

DSC01358.jpg

DSC01094.jpg

my cousin sitting in fred meyers, we were waiting to meet up with some people, what would you do differently on the ones you didn't like?

here are some more from the mountain in a attempt to redeem myself

DSC01509.jpg

DSC01500.jpg

DSC01505.jpg

DSC01497.jpg

Well you see, the things you're taking pictures of are fascinating, but the photographs themselves need a bit of work. (I'm such a hypocrite for saying this) But you need to think about taking these pictures with a more unique spin than just see-pretty-thing-then-point-camera-and-shoot-it.

Try getting your camera higher or lower to the ground, try getting close things as well as far things in your pictures, get some depth. You won't get much bokeh with a P&S like yours, but try focusing on something up close, allowing the background to blur. Try framing a far subject using a near subject: take a picture of that cool hill through the branches of a tree or something. Or pick a single, interesting tree and make it your subject, then compose it in your shot in some interesting way, or something.

For that car shot, it was taken as a telephoto, maybe you could make it a tighter cropping to really put the focus on the curves of the car. Try some wide shots that emphasize direction (the lines in the snow from the skiiers, maybe, I dunno). Try varying things, try seeing things from any perspective that isn't plain-old-normal, and get your camera into unique positions and vantage points.

Sorry for being so blunt, but you see what I'm meaning?

Also, look up "latitude". A few of those photos could be better but they're struggling with the latitude of the sensor.

basically, film or sensors can only capture a certain range (latitude) of light and darkness. If you exceed that, you get very contrasty photos.

Well you see, the things you're taking pictures of are fascinating, but the photographs themselves need a bit of work. (I'm such a hypocrite for saying this) But you need to think about taking these pictures with a more unique spin than just see-pretty-thing-then-point-camera-and-shoot-it.

Try getting your camera higher or lower to the ground, try getting close things as well as far things in your pictures, get some depth. You won't get much bokeh with a P&S like yours, but try focusing on something up close, allowing the background to blur. Try framing a far subject using a near subject: take a picture of that cool hill through the branches of a tree or something. Or pick a single, interesting tree and make it your subject, then compose it in your shot in some interesting way, or something.

For that car shot, it was taken as a telephoto, maybe you could make it a tighter cropping to really put the focus on the curves of the car. Try some wide shots that emphasize direction (the lines in the snow from the skiiers, maybe, I dunno). Try varying things, try seeing things from any perspective that isn't plain-old-normal, and get your camera into unique positions and vantage points.

Sorry for being so blunt, but you see what I'm meaning?

I understand and thank you that is the exact comment i was looking for, im trying to improve just dont know what to improve on. Thanks again, and all ill look up the latitude as well

Most reactions

Back