New Guy :-)

emmarice22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi, Im pretty new to photography andI'm trying to use my spare time to learn as much as I can :)
I am a full time mum plus I work so I do have a lot to juggle. Just wanted to post a couple of pictures and get some constructive criticism. I currently dont have any editing software (apart from the free iPhoto software built into my iMac) but i am looking into which is best to get to help make my pictures the best they can be :)

I have a Nikon D3200 which I love and two lenses - 18-55mm and 70-300mm which is manual focus. Hated that at first but love the extra control it seems to give.

I feel like I have the eye for a good photograph but Im lacking in the knowledge at the moment. I have a couple of books to help me but any other suggestions would be great :)

Thanks
x x

(ok so another problem is my pictures are all bigger than 4mb. How can I make them smaller so I can show you guys a few?????) Im working on a iMac...

Welcome to the forum @emmarice! Its definitely hard juggling life as a mom! Luckily while we are to tired to realize whats going on in life, we may make it out of the chaos with a few photos to jog our memories when life calms down ;-)

There are a few free programs out that will help with editing. I believe picasa is the most popular on I see being thrown around, but I have no experience with it.

If you want to start adding in pictures, most of us use a 3rd party host like Flickr and then imbed the image URL into the thread by using the little picture icon and pasting in the image url. Im looking forward to seeing some of your work!

There is lots to learn on here! Read posts, ask questions, share some pictures for c&c, and you are sure to grow in your craft! Enjoy your stay.

E53c3p
Ok so hoping this works from you're advice ...

Emma Rice has shared 1 photo with you Flickr - Photo Sharing
This is what I put in the URL - doesn't seem to have worked?

What I have to do is open the photo in Flickr's viewer. Then in the bottom left corner (I think it's a rectangle icon when you hover?) It opens options for small medium large or view all sized. Select view all sizes . Choose something like medium 650 or medium 800. Once that opens I have to right click and say "open photo in New tab" that should open into a page where the ONLY thing on it is your photo. That's the link you want to use. I have never been able to use the "grab html code" button like you're supposed to be able to. I hope that helps!

Yes welcome aboard. I use Flicker too for posting my images. Go to your "Photostream", click on the image you want to post, as stated above it opens in a larger view. In that view you will see four icons at the lower right. Click on the arrow icon "share". When that opens select BBCode. In the next line "Medium 538x800" or another size. Click on the link in the last line then right click copy it. Paste it in your post then eliminate everything after "[/img]". There may be an easier way but I haven't come across it yet. Maybe another poster will report.

If you click the link I've pasted does that work?

use the BBCode link:

flickr_link.png

Welcome to the site. Did your 3200 come with a disk? This should have Nikon's editing software on it. (If not you can download it from Nikon). While I have not used the Nikon version, this can be effective to post process images. (Okay, it's not Lightroom or Photoshop, but it will let you edit a photo).

:) trying to post a picture

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90
its because you have viewing set to private, so the only option is a direct link.

Welcome, emmarice22!

I stopped using iPhoto and purchased Aperture3. The problem with that is that Apple has indicated they will stop providing support for Aperture in the future. I really like it, but may have to purchase some other editing software someday.

As to what to learn; having a good eye is a huge part of learning photography.

ps: Aperture has several options for file type and size when you export from Aperture. So I just export a JPEG file that is no larger than 1060-something on the longest side, and it loads here just fine.

Please don't confuse direct comments with being rude.
The two pictures of flowers are just 'point the camera at something pretty and press the button' pictures; there doesn't seem to be much attempt to compose the picture to show us something special or new or that you saw that you want to show us.

The first picture is much more of a good attempt at a photo. It is placid and pleasing; the trees frame the center nicely.
It isn't clear what you wanted us to look at and what is the real center of interest is.
The bench and bush overlap and that makes it a bit more confusing as to what is really important in your mind.

Read a bit about composition.
Pick out exactly what you want to show the viewer, then expose, compose and frame about that.

upload_2015-7-22_13-31-18.png

Most reactions

New Topics

Back