New here and can really use some help

Creative Minds

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hope this is ok to just drop this on you all for my first post but I guess I need to start somewhere.

My name is Teresa and I have been really trying hard to understand photography but its just not clicking for some reason, I bought the book called...Understanding Exposures but it's really not helping me and I feel like I keep going back reading things over to try and understand it so im not getting very far with this book, did it start to help you understand in the begining of the book or more in the middle? What else can I do to get better? They have no digital classes at my local College so I can't get any help there. Im hoping to get some help here. Thanks for those who takes a min to read and possibly reply.

Heya CreativeMinds and welcome to ThePhotoForum.
My suggestion is that you simply START.
Go out and TAKE photos.
Don't only read about the theory of taking good photos... try to take some. No matter if they are good from the start or not so good ... take a camera into your hands and try it. Test yourself. Test yourself on what you see, how you want to frame it, and actively - in a very hands-on-try-and-error method - get yourself into the field that fascinates you so.

You might want to show us your work and we may tell you what the flaws are and what things are attractive and you thus take the plunge and "swim". What do you say?

I agree with LaFoto.

Like anything in life, you have to actually take pictures before you understand what the literature is saying. You need a point of refrence, and a critical eye of your own photos before you can really dive into reading what is going on.

Theory is for people who have become comfortable with a particular subject, but see specific flaws they didn't see before. The theory and reading comes when you try to solve specific problems, or evolve your work in a particular direction. You need to have photos and develop a sense of what you want out of it before you can improve or understand the more complicated aspects.

As has been said - take pictures.
Take the same image using different exposures (shutter speed), different aperture (f stop) and even different ISO ratings.
Then when you read about them you'll have a reference and it'll help you understand what each does, how they're linked and when to control each one.
above all.....enjoy yourself! :)

Try the book " Teach yourself photography"it is the easiest and simplest book to read and understand. It's cheap too. Look for it on Amazon. It should be required reading for all beginners. It covers everything in simple terms everyone can understand...
Cosmo

Welcome to the forum.

I do think that photography is one of those things that may be hard to wrap your head around...at first. The terms and numbers can be confusing....but I've found that if you keep at it...one day it will click...and then you understand it much better.

On the other hand, photography is also one of those things that you can do on instinct. Just take your camera and go shoot what you think will look good.

The basics of photography have not really changed with digital...if you have access to a beginner's class...it would still be a good idea.

Thank you all for your response's. Hopefully I will be posting pics soon to get some help.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back