New Here. And this is my first QUESTION =D

ok i think i found a cam. just need to know if its a good one.

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera

If you don't know if that is a good camera, you are a million miles away from being able to do what you want to do

Actually I'm not far from where I need to go. I don't know much about Digital Cameras....When I did Photography about 10 years ago...it was all Film.

this is the Camera I had..(well still have..just haven't touched since 01)..and Like I said..I'm a Graphic Designer...editing a photo is a piece of cake to me.

filmcam.jpg

Last edited:
any who...its all about how much i want to spend...into getting in the Digital Photography world. So its either the 7D or the 5D Mark II. I just need to know which is the best choice for starting out...seeing that the 7D is less...should I just get that and work my way up? or should I go ahead and add a few more $100's and get the 5D Mark II....between those 2 cameras...would it make a difference to get the Mark over the 7D

Its about the lenses, not the body.

The 5D2 is a better camera, can do cleaner ISO, is full frame.
It has slower FPS than the 7D, but if you aren't doing much action, that shouldnt matter.

If getting the 7D means you can pick up a pro lens (24-70. 70-200), then go with the 7D. Its all about the lenses, less about the body.

Without a budget, I'd get the 5D2 over the 7D

Yeah i just took the actually time to look over them. I think I just might shoot for the 5D. it comes w/ 28 - 80mm, 75 - 300mm Standard Telephoto, 500mm Preset Telephoto, 50mm, 58mm Wide Angle, 58mm 2x Telephoto Lens. Plus the 21.1 mega pixel can't go wrong.

And for what you are looking to go into I would say a 5D (refurbished or second hand) over the 7D if you want to go cheaper than the 5DM2. I am not saying the 7D is not a good camera body (its a fantastic camera body for its price) but its crop sensor rather than fullframe.
For the areas you are interested in, as well as your past history of working with 35mm (fullframe) film the 5D just makes so much more sense to go for. Add to that a good pro end bit of glass - be it a prime or zoom lens and you're good to go.

The 7D crop sensor have sensors smaller than the 35mm film was - so the images you get from lenes will feel as if they are more zoomed in than before (because the edges of the image are "cropped" away)

thanks! you guys are a GREAT HELP!!!

And for what you are looking to go into I would say a 5D (refurbished or second hand) over the 7D if you want to go cheaper than the 5DM2. I am not saying the 7D is not a good camera body (its a fantastic camera body for its price) but its crop sensor rather than fullframe.
For the areas you are interested in, as well as your past history of working with 35mm (fullframe) film the 5D just makes so much more sense to go for. Add to that a good pro end bit of glass - be it a prime or zoom lens and you're good to go.

^^^^^^
ALL THIS

This is exactly my thoughts and for all the same reasons.

Now... a question for the OP: I'm thinking about becoming a graphic designer and wonder what computer/programs I should get?

-Pete

^^^^^^
ALL THIS

This is exactly my thoughts and for all the same reasons.

Now... a question for the OP: I'm thinking about becoming a graphic designer and wonder what computer/programs I should get?

-Pete

Well all depends on what types of graphics you're going to be getting into.

But by far the 2 most heard of and used is always Adobe Photoshop & Adobe Illustrator.

I tend to use both going back & fourth. Right now I have a tablet PC laptop..screen flips over and i can draw right on the screen...which helps me when I need to make cartoon characters & etc. But I really really want to get a MAC...which I think when I buy my new Digital Camera equipment I'm going to go ahead and purchase a Mac as well.

I have the whole CS5 suite. But I'm not installing until I get a new Laptop/Desktop or add more RAM & etc to my existing laptop.

But til this day I choose to use the OLD ADOBE PHOTOSHOP 7.0!! haha
But for a lot of my logos and Cartoons I'm currently using Illustrator CS2

Yeah i just took the actually time to look over them. I think I just might shoot for the 5D. it comes w/ 28 - 80mm, 75 - 300mm Standard Telephoto, 500mm Preset Telephoto, 50mm, 58mm Wide Angle, 58mm 2x Telephoto Lens. Plus the 21.1 mega pixel can't go wrong.

Don't bother with all that crap that comes with it none of it is quality, I shoot some of my stuff with the original 5D and it's a great camera even though it is a few years old now

Don't bother with all that crap that comes with it none of it is quality, I shoot some of my stuff with the original 5D and it's a great camera even though it is a few years old now

Well the wide angle lens will come in handy for skateboard photography. not to sure about the other lenses.

So if I just buy the 5D body...what lenses should I look into buying?

Sounds like a google ebay bidder seller to me:

28-80mm - decent range, but the quality of the lens just won't be there. Since this is likley to be one of your main working areas you really want to look at either prime lenses and/or a good highend zoom. A 24-70mm f2.8 L would be a fantastic lens for this range.

75-300mm - nothing fancy here, its a standard 70-300mm zoom. Not outstanding image quality but decent enough to give you the range if you want to play with it. But more suited to sports/wildlife than studio work

500mm preset - likley this is an f8 fixed aperture mirror lens. Generally speaking those in these deals are teh bottom end of the mirror lens market which means poor overall image quality. Furthermore mirror lenses tend to create odd swirls/rings in highlights in background areas and its a feature of them that many dislike

50mm - probably the 50mm f1.8 - cheap and cheerfull

58mm wide angle - something wrong here as 58mm is not generally considered wide angle.

58mm 2* lens - not sure what this is, but I'm guessing that its a filter screw on teleconverter and most likley should be avoided like the plague

Plus the 21.1 mega pixel can't go wrong.
the 5D is 12.8MP of pure glory not 21 (that is the 5DM2).

Overall the deal has a lot of cheap rubbish mixed with some odd statements. I would avoid it. Get yourself a good quality refurbished 5D from a legitimate retailer (adorama/B&H) and a good quality lens.

Then you need to dedicate time to choosing a good lighting setup. Again a fixed idea of a budget that you have to work with would help a lot with this. You will need a good lighting setup (at the cheapest end a single good speedlife flash and at the more expensive a 3 strobe light setup) because studio and outdoors work that you are looking to create is going to rely upon good lighting far far more so than a good camera body.

oh my bad..I just kept saying 5D for short. since the guy I was talking back & fourth on here with already read it in my early reply in here. but the Camera I'm looking at is a 5D Mark II.

Oh another thing i was wondering...is the lenses and flashes i have for my CANON AE-1 FILM cam. are they compatible w/ the Canon Digital line of cameras at all?

Ok so I made my choice. getting the Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Photogenic Studio Max III 3-Light Portrait Studio Kit (120v), 3 Backdrops & Stand.

Now I need to know which lenses are important to get or needed for the type of photography I'll be doing. (fashion) And how far can I go w/ the lens that comes w/ the Canon b4 I would need to buy other types. The lens it comes with is: Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back