New here, big problem

That I cannot tell you... because it has a year warranty on all items in the lens... not 7 days... did you talk to the Canon people at the store? Or a canon repair service?

Hannah said:
I shut the IS off and there was no noise. I questioned TWO Canon techs at the service number and they both said the noise was not normal. I asked each of them whether it was the IS and they said the IS is silent and that I probably heard the motor for the focus and I should only hear it until the lens focuses and the fact that I heard it continue after the shutter was released is troublesome.

These people also seem to have a similar problem.
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=21452&highlight=noise

If appears the IS causes the noise, at least that's what I gather from the thread above. I don't know about those Canon techs though...

Thanks for all the 411 everybody! I called Canon again, and I made the guy put a large lens with IS on a camera and tell me if he heard anything. He said yes that's what i heard. I said that two other techs told me it was not normal and especially for it to continue after releasing the shutter. This tech told me that the IS makes the noise after the shot to set up for the next shot. These are guys at the official Canon Helpline from the Canon site! Thanks to you guys I don't have to return my lens!!!!:thumbup: :hail:

I don't know if you can find a ziplock bag big enough to fit a 300mm lens. You might just need to use a garbage bag. Be sure to just tie the end in a knot so it's airtight, and you'll be fine.

Digital Matt said:
I don't know if you can find a ziplock bag big enough to fit a 300mm lens. You might just need to use a garbage bag. Be sure to just tie the end in a knot so it's airtight, and you'll be fine.

If you don't have a plastic bag...you can try to make due with what you have. For example, if you just leave everything in a good camera bag, that is zipped up tight...it will be much better than nothing at all. The downside to that...is that a padded camera bag will act as insulation...and it will take much longer for the gear to warm up.

I also keep little bags of silica gel in my camera bag, to absorb any moisture.

One last point, it's not only cold weather that you have to watch out for. If you live or vacation in a tropical location...be careful when you take your gear from a cold air conditioned room out into the hot humid air.

Big Mike said:
I also keep little bags of silica gel in my camera bag, to absorb any moisture.

One last point, it's not only cold weather that you have to watch out for. If you live or vacation in a tropical location...be careful when you take your gear from a cold air conditioned room out into the hot humid air.

Good points.

anyway, coming back to that IS noise ... IS moves at least one part of glass around, and if your ears are not totally wrecked you can EASILY hear it! Mabe those canon techs spend too much time in night clubs or with loud earphones so they cannot hear faint noise anymore ... always keep in mind that our hearing sense is at least as subjective as our visual sense is, if not more.

I never encountered a single IS lens with no noise.

Yeah, I have several IS lenses (which work fine) and after hearing the noise my wife asked me if I mounted a pepper mill on the front of the camera :)

Be wary of drastic temperature differences. The WORST noob mistake I made was I ran out of a super-air-conditioned hotel room to get some shots in Florida on a mega-hot humid summer day. I changed lenses outside a minute after leaving the room, and got condensation spots inside as big as a quarter of my sensor (the visible image.) Had to send it in, get it cleaned.

In my (weak) defense, it was 5 years ago with my D60, one of the first dSLR cameras... I learned a lot the hard way. Where was TPF then?

My 200mm IS whirrs too. At first I also thought it was broken because I watched the UPS guy drop it down the stairs on the way to my door!

Most reactions

Back