New here, C&C please. =)

Kengraphy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all, I'm new here, and I just bought my first DSLR a few days ago, previously been using a PnS camera, somehow I just got hook onto photography that I just had to buy myself a DSLR.

I'm really hoping to learn more here, and I hope you guys will share your experience with me. Thanks.

Don't hold back on your C&Cs, be harsh! Just don't flame. ^^

These were taken in Melaka, Malaysia.

Chinese_Window_by_Kengraphy.jpg

Red_House_by_Kengraphy.jpg

Trishaw_2_by_Kengraphy.jpg

Spinning_Tower_by_Kengraphy.jpg

Window_to_Heaven_by_Kengraphy.jpg

Doorway_by_Kengraphy.jpg

Sunlight_by_Kengraphy.jpg

Windmill_by_Kengraphy.jpg

Trishaw_1_by_Kengraphy.jpg

Trishaw_Driver_by_Kengraphy.jpg

Chinese_Lions_by_Kengraphy.jpg

Last edited:
You have very good composition. The lighting is just not my favorite. I'd really like these if done at dawn.

You have very good composition. The lighting is just not my favorite. I'd really like these if done at dawn.

Thank you!

Hmm, you're right, I guess the lighting isn't very good. Sadly, it was just a visit to Melaka on that day, so transport was the issue[2 hours bus ride], and the ride was during the sunset and sunrise.

I'm usually not a big fan of up-in-the-sky building shots, but #2 works nicely for me. Beautiful color, lighting, and angles. Good job!

Jon

I'm usually not a big fan of up-in-the-sky building shots, but #2 works nicely for me. Beautiful color, lighting, and angles. Good job!

Jon

Thanks for the comment. =)

not bad... main suggestion I have is watch your exposure.. a few of the images (especially #1) seem over exposed a bit to me... for future reference.. try to only pic 2 or 3 of your favorites and post them... this post took forever to load (my internet at work is really slow)

Nice experimentation with the panning.
On #6 would have loved if your exposure was set for the man inside, and then a little less of the overexposed outer wall.

I like #4, maybe increase exposure. Sorry, I don't know how to C/C much since I am also a beginner.

not bad... main suggestion I have is watch your exposure.. a few of the images (especially #1) seem over exposed a bit to me... for future reference.. try to only pic 2 or 3 of your favorites and post them... this post took forever to load (my internet at work is really slow)

Ah, I'll watch my exposure next time.
Sorry about that, I took quite a number of pictures during that trip, so these few are actually my favourites. But I'll take note not to post so many next time. =)

Thanks for the critique.

asc said:
Nice experimentation with the panning.
On #6 would have loved if your exposure was set for the man inside, and then a little less of the overexposed outer wall.

Haha, thanks.
Yeah, you're right about #6. Any suggestion on how I could improve the exposure for the man inside?

El2 said:
I like #4, maybe increase exposure. Sorry, I don't know how to C/C much since I am also a beginner.

Thanks for the comment, I'll try to increase the exposure for it. :D

I think 2 has a lot of potential and just needs to be cropped a bit differently... too much sky I think. I'm not totally happy with this, but it gives you an idea...

Sorry it whacked your watermark there.

I also did a quick sharpening pass and did a slight boost in saturation on the sky.

Anyway, with something like this, you can enjoy the neat differences in lines, the interesting textures and still get the color change between the stark red/brown and the blue sky.

I think 2 has a lot of potential and just needs to be cropped a bit differently... too much sky I think. I'm not totally happy with this, but it gives you an idea...

Sorry it whacked your watermark there.

I also did a quick sharpening pass and did a slight boost in saturation on the sky.

Anyway, with something like this, you can enjoy the neat differences in lines, the interesting textures and still get the color change between the stark red/brown and the blue sky.

Thanks for the demonstration, I think I get the idea. :)

I'll try to experiment around.

Yeah, you're right about #6. Any suggestion on how I could improve the exposure for the man inside?

Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in. I would imagine you would zoom in to get a reading on him without the outside sun-lit walls.

You then compose the shot and snap with the measurement you took while zoomed in on him.

The challenge is that if he is properly exposed, the outside sun-lit walls with great texture will be blown to kingdom come. I would assume your two options would be....1.) PP two photos, one exposed outside, one exposed man. or 2.) Compose the picture where very little of the sunlit walls are showing, just enough to frame the alleyway.

The joys of digital photography. Experiment, have fun, learn, grow, and then share with us :D

Perhaps someone with more experience will chime in. I would imagine you would zoom in to get a reading on him without the outside sun-lit walls.

You then compose the shot and snap with the measurement you took while zoomed in on him.

The challenge is that if he is properly exposed, the outside sun-lit walls with great texture will be blown to kingdom come. I would assume your two options would be....1.) PP two photos, one exposed outside, one exposed man. or 2.) Compose the picture where very little of the sunlit walls are showing, just enough to frame the alleyway.

The joys of digital photography. Experiment, have fun, learn, grow, and then share with us :D

Hehe, yeah, the joys of digital photography! Thanks for the input, I'll make sure to try both options out the next time I come across the same situation. :)

On the image with the man you may consider doing a shot like that as an HDR image. These tend to be cartoony and frowned upon by many but if done properly they can look beautiful. Option 2 would be to eventually invest in a small radio triggered flash. Light the man with the flash to the same exposure as the wall. Last thing I have to say is if you go on another shoot like this I would invest in a cheap UV filter. Just to help get some of the haze out of a couple of the images.

But then again I'm a relative noob, so take this with a grain of salt.

Heres just a qucik very rough edit in photoshop that may give you something sortof like you were looking for.

editfortpf.jpg

Most reactions

Back