New here, critique please?

Lacey Anne

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.laceyanne.photoreflect.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone! My name is Lacey and I'm new to the forum. I've just opened a studio and am looking for some constructive criticism. Thanks!

DSC_02001.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

#3 (please ignore her dirty feet. I can say that because she's my little sis)

DSC_00531.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

#1. Most 'Photographers' tend to think of selective color as hackney...been there done that etc. However, a lot of clients love it, so there you go. Nice shot.

#2. This one seems out of focus or blurry.

#3. Great shot...but ya, dirty feet. Crop it below the feet and it is a great shot.

#4. Looks like a two headed boy :). Nice clear shot and a nice moment but I'd much prefer to see the boy's eyes or at least see that they are looking at each other.

Hi and welcome, Lacey!

1) I'm not a fan of the selective coloring. If you must have it, maybe desaturate her irises - they are really bright, just too much. I'd be interested to see it in full color, actually.

2) Nice expression and coloring. Her hair blends into the background, which is unfortunate, but overall, this is a nice shot. It could be a little sharper around the eyes, though. Maybe some better lighting on the sides/back would help - I bet the lighting pros could suggest ways to improve this.

3) Dirty feet notwithstanding, this one doesn't do much for me, other than the fact that she has a pretty smile. You have some lighting/shadow issues there too and the blanket wrinkles don't do anything for it.

4) Cute kids! This one is the most natural and the one I'm drawn to most, by far. It's also the sharpest. Great capture with the expressions - I know it's hard to catch two kids in a good pose at once.

I'm new at this, so take that for what it's worth, which may be very little. :lol:

Welcome to the forum.

#1. Most 'Photographers' tend to think of selective color as hackney...been there done that etc. However, a lot of clients love it, so there you go. Nice shot.

#2. This one seems out of focus or blurry.

#3. Great shot...but ya, dirty feet. Crop it below the feet and it is a great shot.

#4. Looks like a two headed boy :). Nice clear shot and a nice moment but I'd much prefer to see the boy's eyes or at least see that they are looking at each other.
Yes, she wanted the selective coloring. :) I prefer a plain b&w or a full color. Oh well, I get paid more for them. ;) Here it is in color:

DSC_0200.jpg

Hey, now, #4 is twins not two headed boys! lol!

I completely agree with you on the other two. Thanks!

Hi and welcome, Lacey!

1) I'm not a fan of the selective coloring. If you must have it, maybe desaturate her irises - they are really bright, just too much. I'd be interested to see it in full color, actually.

2) Nice expression and coloring. Her hair blends into the background, which is unfortunate, but overall, this is a nice shot. It could be a little sharper around the eyes, though. Maybe some better lighting on the sides/back would help - I bet the lighting pros could suggest ways to improve this.

3) Dirty feet notwithstanding, this one doesn't do much for me, other than the fact that she has a pretty smile. You have some lighting/shadow issues there too and the blanket wrinkles don't do anything for it.

4) Cute kids! This one is the most natural and the one I'm drawn to most, by far. It's also the sharpest. Great capture with the expressions - I know it's hard to catch two kids in a good pose at once.

I'm new at this, so take that for what it's worth, which may be very little. :lol:
Posted #1 in color in the post above for you. :) Her eyes are really just that bright. They're shocking in person! Thanks for all your advice. :)

I torture my kids alot too with the camera. someday they will like how well their childhood is documented

i looked at your website, saw lots of nice photos on there :)

I would like to see some more with your new lighting set up. Seems like some good stuff should be coming from ya.. lol

Let's see... I've only played with my new lighting but I have a few that aren't too terrible. I have two sessions next week so I'll have more after that. Here's one that I like:

DSC_020112.jpg

My sons (see they really are my lab rats!):

DSC_0035-1.jpg

And this one:

DSC_01931.jpg

Most reactions

Back