New here.. Dark Pictures with pixels showing?

S40T5Lover

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey guys, I'm new here and I have a Nikon D50.. Sometimes when I'll take a pic in a little bit darker lighting in the dark spots the picture will almost "show the pixels" as in it makes it look grainy... Is there a name for this and how can I avoid it?

Thanks guys!:thumbup:

Last edited:
It's called noise and it's unavoidable with digital cameras because of an inherent property of digital image sensors. It happens in dark places in your photos when you use longer exposures or high ISOs.

If you want to avoid it for some exposures, you'll need to spend $3000 for the D700. If you want to avoid it completely and don't have $3000, use film. That's half the reason I just bought a film camera.

Last edited:
Dial down your ISO and aperature and increase your shutter speed.

It does rock. One of my favorite lenses. Very sharp

Dial down your ISO and aperature and increase your shutter speed.

That's backwards. To get the shot in lower light environments, dial UP the ISO and INCREASE aperture size (decrease numerically) to increase shutter speed. ;) :)

Good lord, do you need any light for that 50mm f1.8?

Actually, a lot depends on the camera it sits on too. Yeah, you will need light, just not as much. But, you'll need a LOT more light than I will with my coming D700 and current 85mm F/1.4 combination... lol

Most reactions

Back