New Here! How do I organize?

When you do it in LR, it does it in your file system.
What about the opposite? What happens when you do it on the file system? How well does LR handle it?
The other reason to don't like LR is that Adobe believes I should buy more hard disks instead of delete raw files for photos I know I will never edit again.

What about the opposite? What happens when you do it on the file system? How well does LR handle it?
The other reason to don't like LR is that Adobe believes I should buy more hard disks instead of delete raw files for photos I know I will never edit again.

I'm not sure what you mean by the last statement. Adobe can't tell you what to keep or delete. If you don't need a raw file, just save the jpeg conversion and delete the raw.
If you move something around on the file system (outside of LR), you will have to relocate it in LR.(The reference links I posted covers that scenario) If you use LR, it's best and easiest to simply do everything in LR.

Here you go

I'm not sure what you mean by the last statement. Adobe can't tell you what to keep or delete. If you don't need a raw file, just save the jpeg conversion and delete the raw.
If you move something around on the file system (outside of LR), you will have to relocate it in LR.(The reference links I posted covers that scenario) If you use LR, it's best and easiest to simply do everything in LR.

Here you go

When I first started with Lightroom, I made that mistake on a few folders without thinking. Had to go back and relink everything. Wasn't too big of a deal, but a pain nonetheless.

While editing in LR, if you don't like a photo you mark it for Deletion (pressing X).
If you are working in the workflow you can mark a photo to delete by pressing 'X' then (Photos, delete rejected photos) to delete all X'd photos ... the marked RAW files get deleted.

In many cases I've seen that what feel are failings in LR can be attributed to lack of familiarity. Perhaps the most valuable single ability is the tight linking to PS.

I always used a YYYYMMDD filing system for the photo files and kept that layout when I moved to LightRoom. All the base files used by LR are in a directory called Archive, all images exported from LR go into a Developed directory.

OK, I'm just old school I guess. All the features you mention are great for post, did not realize it could sort various ways automatically. I was thinking more organization as opposed to learning curve of new software.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

It's really a great program built with photographers in mind. "Lightroom is the essential tool for organizing, editing, and sharing your photography." And it gets better and better.
That means I have to switch to Windows... No thanks, I'll stick with Gimp and Darktable.

(I will also be using a few different backup methods.)

On that point: I keep three copies of my images on three separate drives. I never edit anything straight off of the card; always copy the pictures off the cards asap to the drives before any culling/editing down.

I organize my Folders first by Year (ie 2015), then by actual date (4 digit yr/mo/day) along with a meaningful identifier. It is important to me to use ymd in that order folders are always sorted. Then under that, I have raw in one folder, screen images in one folder, print images in another folder etc. The last set of folders is created by my Lightroom exports.

Ie

2015-04-13 Sons Birthday
Capture Raw
Capture JPG
Screen
Print

For a commercial business, this may not be ideal, but it works for me (I would not have more than 100 sub folders per year). It is very easy for me to find something as-is, but someday if I ever find time I will look to set up tagging/keywords etc, but that takes time to set up and maintain...and would not buy me a lot, unless I was creating a ton of photo albums.

Last edited:
OK, I'm just old school I guess. All the features you mention are great for post, did not realize it could sort various ways automatically. I was thinking more organization as opposed to learning curve of new software.

It's really a great program built with photographers in mind. "Lightroom is the essential tool for organizing, editing, and sharing your photography." And it gets better and better.
That means I have to switch to Windows... No thanks, I'll stick with Gimp and Darktable.

We all have options. Thats the beauty of it. Freedom of choice is precious.

Thank you all very much for your input and advice. It is all completely overwhelming to me though. I'm trying to push through the frustration though and try to understand it all, because I don't want to push it off any longer.

Welcome, I guess I'm a little late, lol. Lightroom is my go to software. It has amazing editing power for a lot of things short of Photoshop and it's organization is on point. Look forward to seeing some of your work sometime.

Most reactions

Back