New here + question about city skyline photo locations

ArntorFTL

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm definitely a photography "noob" since I just purchased my first DSLR (Nikon D40) a couple of months ago. This is a great forum and I have gleaned a lot of great and practical information after lurking since then. My question isn't so much about the actual taking of pictures, per se, but more about locations for city skyline photography.

Is there, somewhere, a resource of some sort that lists cities and the locations where folks can go on their own and take quintessential skyline photos? For instance, Seattle = Kerry Park/Jose Rizal Bridge, Detroit = Belle Isle/Windsor's Riverside Park, Baltimore = Federal Hill Park, Toronto = Olympic Island Park, etc. I searched here on TPF and couldn't find anything aside from bits and pieces of information scattered across many different posts. This would be a great resource for those of us who travel but aren't quite 100% familiar with the cities (or their shooting locations) that we travel to.

This is going to sound strange but Google Earth makes for an excellent resource of where you may find parks at riverbanks or mountains overlooking cities which could all form potential shooting points. A good indication that it's easily and publicly accessible is seeing cars parked or what obviously looks like a public park in an otherwise populated area.

The local photoclub rarely plans an outing without looking through Google Earth to see if there's anything interesting we may otherwise miss.

I think in some cities the best spots are probably tightly held secrets by certain photographers who may want to sell the images they take there. I know in my city (Pittsburgh) there are several good spots that are pretty well known and I have a couple I take weddings to that not too many people know about.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back