New here! Thoughts on photography certification?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Avajoy, Jul 15, 2007.

1. Avajoy

Avajoy TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hello, all! I am new to the forum, and have kept photography as a sort of hobby most of my life. Now I'm ready to get serious about it and make a career of it as a photojournalist. I was doing some research, and found an ad in the latest issue of a photography magazine I subscribe to regarding The New York Institute of Photography. They issue a certificate in Photography, and I was curious - if I spent all that money on this course, (before I start working on my degree at a local school), does or will that help me in any way, especially with getting a job?

Thanks for your input, in advance. :)

2. ksmattfish

ksmattfish Now 100% DC - not as cool as I once was, but still

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think credentials from NYIP are pretty small beans. That's just my opinion. That's not to say they aren't a decent instructor, or wouldn't teach you things that could help you get a job, I'm just saying that a piece of paper saying you completed the NYIP courses probably is not anywhere near as important in getting a job as a good portfolio. I can't imagine anyone in the industry taking certification from NYIP any more seriously than certification in photography from any given community college. Actually, I would probably tend to give more credit to a class/lecture based program than an online or mail based program.

You should email people at your local paper (or where ever you might want to end up) who would be in charge of hiring PJs, and ask them what they think of NYIP credentials.

3. theusher

theusher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    The reaction to NYIP is very varied it seems. I was going to do it, but I ended up going with some college classes instead. I'm glad I did. It a lot less money.

4. sabbath999

sabbath999 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have no idea or opinion about the quality of the NYIP, but I can tell you that unless you plan on working for a newspaper (where they are going to want you to have a college degree unless you are the second coming of Henri Cartier-Bresson... and sometimes, even if you ARE Cartier-Bresson reincarnated) degrees and certificate don't mean much.

What you LEARN from your photographic education, and the quality of the pictures that you take, are what matter.

I haven't a clue whether NYIP is a good place to get some photography education, but I would encourage you to focus only on the education and not on any certificate that any place might offer.

5. Jon, The Elder

Jon, The Elder TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Avajoy......in 40+ years of professional photography, I've never had one person ask me about "certification".

On the other hand, it is worthwhile to take classes that will give you knowledge and training in photography.

In my opinion, the only little pieces of paper that count are the rectangular green ones you put in the bank.