New KP

Discussion in 'Pentax Cameras' started by pez, Jan 26, 2017.

1. pez

pez No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    It's no K3, and won't replace mine. However, I have K70, which also has some features which surpass the K-3/ii, such as high ISO performance, and has pixel shift like the K3ii- for cheap. I love mine and use it as a knock-around camera. It's really a fun camera that produces great results which is also very good for astro and macro. The KP has a completely new sensor and fantastic high ISO performance (for crop sensor), and a metal body (supposedly)- which might be the justification for the price (almost twice the K70)?
    Here is a discussion on the PF site about where the KP is supposed to fit in.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  2. smoke665

smoke665 TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Yup the first in the Pentax lineup to break 100k ISO.

Read differing opinions on this one on Pentax Forums. One seemed to indicate they shared somewhat the same sensor. One article claimed it was new design (by a yet unknown manufacturer), both reportedly are 24.3 mp. One thing there is no confusion about is the CPU. The PrimeIV with image acceleration is way different then the Prime III of the K3II.

This is a wait and see. Early indications are that the high ISO may not really be useable, but that the CPU change may provide better response at the lower ISO up to 50K or so. In the same article you referenced the examples of the KP and K3II showed side by side comparisons at 51,200 ISO and the KP won hands down, but the examples of the KP at 819200 ISO were horrible. Also, while 819200 is higher than any Pentax has gone before but it's also under the Nikon D500's top setting of ISO 1,640,000.

Not quite true. The KP is reportedly a Magnesium Alloy (Front, Back, Bottom) Plastic (Top Plate).

As to the direction Pentax is taking, as usual no one knows. Pretty much agreed now that the KP is not a replacement for the K3II. There is speculation that Pentax is now looking at splitting the high/mid-range with the KP more aimed at mid-range market, and a new (higher priced model) as a replacement for the K3II that would fill the gap between KP and the K1 for a professional model APS-C body, and still be priced significantly under the Nikon D500.

One thing is certain, if I upgrade the K3II in the future, I need to start saving my pennies, because the wife's gonna have a hissy!

3. pez

Photos OK to edit
    I would submit that no one expects max ISO to be in any way usable from... any camera? Is a D500 usable @ 1,640,000? I have doubts of ever needing to use even 51,200. Pentax describes the sensor as a new generation sensor. I guess that might mean anything... Whatever it all means, I'm gonna give it a whorl and see what happens. Perhaps I'll hate it and wish I'd gone ahead and bought a K-1 :icon_smile:

4. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    @pez Pentax appreciates you LOL I think you'll definitely see a big improvement at 51,200 and below, such that you might actually start using the higher ISO. For those shooting wildlife with telephotos, I'd think the combination of the ability to actually use a higher ISO coupled with the improved in camera stabilization would be a win-win.

5. pez

Photos OK to edit
    Hahaha yeah, Pentax lerves me. Counting film, I have ten Pentax bodies (including two K-o1's, just because)... :concern:

EDIT: 11 bodies. I forgot about the Q :eek-new:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  6. pez

Photos OK to edit
    It arrived this afternoon! :boogie:

[​IMG]
    phone photo...

• Like Like x 1
  7. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    And no posts yet???

8. pez

Photos OK to edit
    Limited palette here at my night job... I'll see what I can do lol

• Like Like x 1
  9. pez

Photos OK to edit
    Waay away, with 300mm, for the heck of it. iso6400, cropped...
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  10. smoke665

Photos OK to edit
    If this was out of camera then I can already see improved rendering at 6400 over my K3II

11. pez

Photos OK to edit
    • Like Like x 1
  12. smoke665

Photos OK to edit

Any noise adjustment in camera or post? I've been experimenting with the High ISO Noise Reduction option in the K3ii menu. It seems to help, especially on Chroma Noise.