new lens 100mm macro test shots

Joe&Caroline

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys took some suggestions I got here and got new 100 mm 2.8 macro . just snapped a few sround the house shots please let me know what you think no flash, no photo shop,

2.jpg

4.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
I guess my opinion is that those really don't fall into macro photography.

Perhaps the first one, but not the other 3.

Otherwise I really have no opinion, #3 is a very cute shot though.

I guess my opinion is that those really don't fall into macro photography.

Perhaps the first one, but not the other 3.

Otherwise I really have no opinion, #3 is a very cute shot though.

you r 100 % correct it is a macro lens maybe the title was wrong for the thread but it seems to take pretty nice portraits though

I like the DOF in 1. that could really play to your advantage .

Is that first one an actual dog?

#3 demonstrates the frustrating evil about macro fields: super shallow depth of field. You'll notice, you are focused on the lips, and the eyes have gone soft. That's why most people with Macro Lenses use manual focus. Keep at it, you'll be using that dof to your advantage in no time.

i have to put more trust in my manual focus ability. Its kind of like remebering a telephone # these days we have some many prgamed functions of life we tend to forget how it used to be..............

and no it is not a real dog in #1 only #2 is real dog

As these seem to be test shots I won't C&C them as normal photos.

#1 - Nice DOF. Was this really shot at ISO 1000? What is that reddish color cast? Was there something red nearby?

#2 - There appears to be slight camera shake. The dog's chest is all blown out. ISO 1000?

#3 - Cute pic. Still seems to have slight camera shake. For this type of shot you want to try and get both eyes in focus. A tighter aperture would give you more DOF. ISO 1000?

#4 - Shutter speed may have been too slow as it looks like baby was moving quite a bit. Focus should be on the eyes...looks like focus was on the 2 fingers instead. ISO 1000?

Take some portrait type shots with theEF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro, 580EXII and the Gary Fong cloud. Curious to see how those would turn out.

Congrats on the new lens. I have the canon 100mm f2.8 lens too. I haven't been playing around it very much as I would like to.

#1, great shot. DOF is absolutely amazing with this camera.
#2,3,4 seems a bit OOF or the focus feel somewhere else. I agree that the focus should be on the eyes.

Have fun with the lens, it is very sharp!

As these seem to be test shots I won't C&C them as normal photos.

#1 - Nice DOF. Was this really shot at ISO 1000? What is that reddish color cast? Was there something red nearby?

#2 - There appears to be slight camera shake. The dog's chest is all blown out. ISO 1000?

#3 - Cute pic. Still seems to have slight camera shake. For this type of shot you want to try and get both eyes in focus. A tighter aperture would give you more DOF. ISO 1000?

#4 - Shutter speed may have been too slow as it looks like baby was moving quite a bit. Focus should be on the eyes...looks like focus was on the 2 fingers instead. ISO 1000?

Take some portrait type shots with theEF 100mm f/2.8 USM macro, 580EXII and the Gary Fong cloud. Curious to see how those would turn out.

:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(

#1 yes there was a rred blanket directly across fromit wow nice pickup

#2, # and #4 all do to the fact that I suck taking pictures and have absolutley no idea on how to take a picture
I am 100% serious about this I am really considering taking a class on the weekend. because what I do is (now please hold back he laughter) I shoot a pic on automatic mode then I switch ove to M AP or TV and play with my setting starting from around or near the parameters where the auto wanted to use. I know this sound totally rediculous but I am hoping sooner or later ill just learn and by reading here and the manual and a book or too I may get better so ....that is the truth ok now you can start laughing im done lol

I am 100% serious about this I am really considering taking a class on the weekend. because what I do is (now please hold back he laughter) I shoot a pic on automatic mode then I switch ove to M AP or TV and play with my setting starting from around or near the parameters where the auto wanted to use. I know this sound totally rediculous but I am hoping sooner or later ill just learn and by reading here and the manual and a book or too I may get better so ....that is the truth ok now you can start laughing im done lol
Doesn't sound too ridiculous to me, and definitely an interesting way to learn photography. Sounds like reverse engineering to me. What you might want to try doing instead is starting with AP mode and trying different apertures, since I don't think standard auto or program mode will know exactly what you want to do with each shot, what you want in focus, etc.

Doesn't sound too ridiculous to me, and definitely an interesting way to learn photography. Sounds like reverse engineering to me. What you might want to try doing instead is starting with AP mode and trying different apertures, since I don't think standard auto or program mode will know exactly what you want to do with each shot, what you want in focus, etc.

its funny you say reverse engineering that is kind of what i have to do in my profession I am a hydraulic mechanic and elecrtical mechanic and somtimes when I cant figure somthing out I have to use this method of thinking so maybe that was just a natural way of learning photo taking.I am not calling my self a photographer but just a photo taker lol. I will take this into consideration on trying apreature changes thankyou for the advice ill post some more pics with this set up tomorrow im going to sleep now

#2, # and #4 all do to the fact that I suck taking pictures and have absolutley no idea on how to take a picture
If you've just gotten into this hobby it's good to start with the basics...

Digital Photography For Beginners

Digital Photography Composition Tips

Tutorials: How To Photograph...
No reason to laugh really...a lot of people learn that way. But you can't learn composition that way...unless you look at photographs taken by really good photographers and can figure out why they composed the shot the way they did.

Looking forward to more pictures from you.

Most reactions

Back