New Lens: 300mm F4 L with 1.4 TC long enough?

RobNZ

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am seriously considering buying the Canon 300mm f4 USM L lens, but if I wait a few days I might be able to pick up the IS version for the same price, I will be adding the Kenko 1.4 DXG teleconverter for extra reach.

I know from trolling forums and reviews that both lenses are awesome (thanks gsgary for posting a few pics in my other thread...sold), with the non-IS being slightly sharper if you really wanted to get into nit picking, and they both work really well with that teleconverter with little image degradation.

I live in a region with lots of surfing/kite surfing action but I want to be sure this combo will have the reach in most situations???

I have done my homework, I am committed to buy, even have permission from the Mrs :thumbup:.

Am I missing a better combo, without taking out a 2nd mortgage?

Total cost would be about $1300 NZ (about $900 US).

What lenses do you have now? You can get a new Sigma 150-500mm with optical stabilization for $1,000. The IQ won't be as good as the L glass, maybe even when paired with a teleconverter - but the versatility might make up for it. And it'll get in a little closer than the 300 x 1.4.

I'd love to have a 300mm Canon L prime though..

Tough choice, I'd like to hear others weigh in on this, I'm still very new to photography and mostly take pictures of my daughter :p

Good lens and stays sharp with the 1.4
My only concern would be how it is sealed. Might give you problems if you are going to be around water alot with it...especially salt water.

Depends on what the light conditions will be where you are shooting. Dont forget that with the 1.4x on there, you lose 1 stop of light, so your f/4 is now an f/5.6

I did a pro soccer game not too long ago and brought a 70-200 f/2.8 IS and a 300 f/4 with a 1.4x converter. I didnt do much with the 300 as at f/5.6 shooting fast moving soccer at night, I was not getting the shutter speeds I needed. With the f/2.8, I would get 1/400 of shutter. Same light at f/5.6, I would be at 1/100

What lenses do you have now? You can get a new Sigma 150-500mm with optical stabilization for $1,000. :p

EF-S 18-55mm kit, EF-S 55-250mm kit and 50mm 1.8. I did look at the Sigma, but with such a variable zoom length I was concerned about overall image quality.

Good lens and stays sharp with the 1.4
My only concern would be how it is sealed. Might give you problems if you are going to be around water alot with it...especially salt water.

Shooting from the shoreline for the surf side of things, how often I am not sure, good point.

Depends on what the light conditions will be where you are shooting. Dont forget that with the 1.4x on there, you lose 1 stop of light, so your f/4 is now an f/5.6

I did a pro soccer game not too long ago and brought a 70-200 f/2.8 IS and a 300 f/4 with a 1.4x converter. I didnt do much with the 300 as at f/5.6 shooting fast moving soccer at night, I was not getting the shutter speeds I needed. With the f/2.8, I would get 1/400 of shutter. Same light at f/5.6, I would be at 1/100

Strong daylight usually is my guess, TC would be used as needed, but I do have a few locations where it wouldnt be required at all. Especially when the swell is decent.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back