New Lens Advice

HeldInTheMoment

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello 'ThePhotoForum' Community!

I am very excited to have just joined this site and look forward to adding to the community in any way I can. Though, I will admit that I have a quick question for you all.

I have been a Photo Hobbyist for a while now, just using my D3200 with the kit lenses. I have ventured into taking Event Photos for friends and family. If all goes well, I might have something small on the site for local events...but that isn't very important here.

The question I have is, what lens should I add to my camera bag for events such as Weddings, Vow Renewals, etc? Like I shared before, I have a D3200 (for now), and want to stay within a budget if possible. Any recommendations?

want to stay within a budget if possible
What is your budget?

I'd recommend faster glass than your kit lenses for weddings/events. Also, you'll probably want some lighting/flashes/triggers/etc.

I am getting the Aperlite YH-700N, from the reviews I have seen this is a great flash for a even better price...the Aperlite YH-500N is similar but seems to have 1-2 less features, figure if I'm gonna do it, do it right. Unless you think I should save the $30 and stay with the YH-500N model?

I have a remote trigger, tripod, etc. I will get more flashes as time goes on, but I think a lens is more important. I know this is a LOW budget for lenses, but sticking around $200 would be GREAT!

I would suggest as prime lens the 35/1.8, as it will behave like a 50mm on your sensor, while giving a large aperture and not being very expensive. You might also check for the 50/1.8*, which is better suited for portraits.

If you do not feel comfortable by changing lenses or zooming with your feet (i.e. Go closer or more far away if the framing doesn't feel right), a good zoom lens on the D3200 will be the 18-300.

(* the same lenses also exist with a max aperture of 1.4, but this will almost double the price)

It would be nice to not have to change lenses, but I cannot afford the 18mm-300mm lens right now...maybe later if I get a few events.

Can you explain to a rookie like me what the benefit of the 35mm/1.8 is over the kit lenses?

A zoom lens must produce acceptable pictures at both ends of the focal length, which results in the complex construction with different glass and glass groups, nonetheless the final product is a compromise. The more expensive zoom lenses (I mean 800USD And more) can have better glass and thereby achieve a better result, however kit lenses are usually at the other end of the pricerange.

A prime lens is designed from the beginning to be best at its unique focal length. Therefore basically the only compromise the designers have to do is to keep the product in a pricerange where people will buy it, but not aspects of different focal lengths.

So, if I understand this correctly...the kit lenses (18-55mm and 55-200mm) are not horrible, but also not designed perfectly for all focal lengths.

The Prime Lens on the other hand, is designed for the exact focal point provided giving a overall better image?

Assuming this is correct, why would you suggest the 35mm/1.8 for wedding events?

Sorry if I ask too much, just want to learn all I can...

Indeed lensdesigners have not only to produce a lens that works, but also lenses that meet the different market sections.

Designing lenses - and especially zoom lenses - therefore results in compromises.

So, yes, your assumption is correct.

So, why the 35/1.8?
You are using a D3200 with a DX sized sensor; i.e. It is cropped compared to a full frame FX sensor.
A 50mm focal length corresponds (on a film or FX camera) to your normal field of view.
Using a 35mm on a DX sensor, corresponds +- to a 50mm on an FX.

So, the 35mm would give you the best normal field of view.

(On top of the 35, I also suggested the 50)

Prime lenses are small, lightweight, much brighter than zooms, optically typically very good, and relatively cheap. Unfortunately for you there is only the AF-S 35mm f1.8 DX and the AF-S 50mm f1.8 for Nikon DX, really.

You can "zoom with your feet" when using a prime. Thats why I only use a wide angle and a telephoto zoom - in these areas its no longer possible to "zoom with your feet", also primes for these areas no longer have such clear advantages in respect to providing more light.

For weddings I would mostly recomment a dedicated flash for your setup.

Thanks for the continued reply and help on this topic. I know I have a lot to learn and getting various responses from different people is helping me learn quickly.

Next year, if all goes well, I hope to get a new camera. But as I learn, the D3200 seemed like a good fit to start.

With regards to the flash setup, I just purchased an Aperlite YH-500N and plan to order more in the near future with flash triggers to complete the setup.

For a $200 lens for that camera I will also recommend the 35mm f/1.8G DX lens. I have the lens and have used it at a number of church type events.
When using the flash the kit lens is probably fine.

With the 35mm prime lens you will want to get used to the field of view so you can move to the right spot before looking through the lens. You can of course practice this with you kit lens by just setting it to one focal length and not changing it (move don't zoom).

It would be nice to not have to change lenses, but I cannot afford the 18mm-300mm lens right now...maybe later if I get a few events.

Can you explain to a rookie like me what the benefit of the 35mm/1.8 is over the kit lenses?
I own the DX35mm f1.8. It's a fantastic lens for what it is (inexpensive 35mm crop or DX lens).

First, it's very sharp. Unless we're talking professional lens, a prime lens (i.e.: a non-zoom) will be significantly sharper than almost any zoom, especially kit lens. It's small and light (so combined with your D3200) your camera will be very light, small, and easy to carry around. And it's got an f1.8 aperture. That means you're shooting with "fast glass" (i.e.: better at low light...which is important for weddings and events where lighting is typically crap). It also allows you to play with DoF (and get all "artsy-fartsy" with some of your photos...or at least have pleasing bokeh for portraits).

Now, that lens isn't perfect. At 35mm you'll get some distortion (true of almost all wide angle lens). You also get some chromatic aberration when shooting in to bright light at aperture extremes (again, most lens vary when you get at one end or the other). And...it's 35mm...which means you're not going to be close enough for good sporting events shots or wedding shots when you're in the back row.

Personally, I'd recommend you get this lens. You might also look at another one b/c at $200 (or less) this an extremely affordable lens. But the thing about the 35mm f1.8 is it's so damned inexpensive now (you can get it new for under $200) and it's so small and light that you can throw it in a pocket or purse. And for indoor shooting of groups and gatherings without a speed light, I think you'll use it more than anything else you can afford at this point (b/c it will be faster than any other glass you can afford).

Nikon makes a nice all-purpose medium range zoom that is 18-105mm. I've known a couple of new photographers who had one and it never left their camera. It's inexpensive (but will run you $200-$250 more than the 35mm). And it's f3.5-4.5 which means it's not that much faster than a kit lens. If you are shooting a lot of stuff outside (some wildlife, some kids' sports, some tourist things) and you don't want to/can't get up and move to get closer, it's a great all-purpose lens to have. For lots of indoor shooting....you'd need great indoor light (or you'd need to jack up the ISO on your D3200) for it to be effective.

Thank you all for the continued, and detailed, replies. I know it takes a fair amount of time to read the posts, type your responses, and post them...so thank you!

$200 is not my absolute budget, I plan on getting a higher end body with 2-3 years. So I have no problem getting quality lenses now, with intentions of using them later on...or when my wife gets handed down my current D3200.

In regards to the speed light, I have a Aperlite YH-500N arriving today. If all goes well, I plan to get 1-2 more shortly.

Overall, it appears the 35mm/f1.8 seems like the general consensus for me to purchase next.

I hope that someday soon, with enough practice of course, I can help contribute to these forums as well.

Before you get the 35mm lens, I recommended you set your kit lens to 35mm and then shoot it with that focal length. The only big difference between the kit lens and the prime lens mentioned in the thread is that the prime lens has a wider max aperture. But at least the field of view or the perspective distortion should be about the same when take a photo.

You can also try 50mm with your kit lens as well.

Thanks Dao, but aside from the aperture...isn't the prime lens higher quality, or am I really just getting a wider aperture?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back