New lens.. Blurry photos :(

Rubbish he is shooting at 140mm don't you know the basics of focal length and shutter speed
Absolute nonsense. There are tons of people who can shoot 1/60th and slower of a second while using big honking telephoto lenses.

ANDS!, you are right about some people can hand hold the camera pretty steady. But for a beginner like what OP said in his original post, I will assume that is not the case.

Rubbish he is shooting at 140mm don't you know the basics of focal length and shutter speed
Absolute nonsense. There are tons of people who can shoot 1/60th and slower of a second while using big honking telephoto lenses.

ANDS!, you are right about some people can hand hold the camera pretty steady. But for a beginner like what OP said in his original post, I will assume that is not the case.

This I will agree with.

I was more calling foul that the "rule of thumb" was rooted in anything other than "rule-of-thumbery".

1/80th is good enough for me hand-held.
(I have the lens the OP is using, BTW...)

Even if it wasn't - I don't see camera shake in the sample pictures, I see slightly out of focus pictures.

Focus error, not shutter speed.

I think it's faulty technique to blame here.

Two things come to mind:
Focus, Recompose
Why Focus-Recompose Sucks

or

Shifting on your feet a little while taking the picture.

or...both at the same time.

Some very interesting view points!

Given me a lot of things to think about an consider for next time i use the lens!

Thanks

I would suggest that motion blur will be detectable in most images shot at 1/60 with a long lens...

Some may be better than others at reducing blur (I will often handhold my 300mm at slower speeds than 1/300), but one can often do better when the lens is supported (myself included).

With a beginner, it will almost certainly be a problem at handholding at slow speeds. It is not "Rubbish".

If he cant get sharp corners at F/4, then he needs to take that lens back.

And 1/80th of a second is pretty damn fast. Faster than some animals - no. Faster than a seemingly stationary woman - oh yea.

Word.

Although he is right, 1/80 is rather fast and if you can't take a photo of someone walking then there is probably some sort of problem.

Word. :raisedbrow:

I can pan at 1/80th.... for most that is too slow for that focal length handheld.

Yes i'm one of them but this is the beginners section

Might I suggest a monopod? A cheap stabilizer that's more portable than a tripod and good to use with a larger zoom lens.

I see you are shooting in Aperture mode, learn to shoot in manual mode so you have control of everything. On your second photo, you aperture is way to high for the lighting, hence why it looks so grainy. As for the blurry shots, I'm sure it's not the lens or you would have posted all of your pictures taken with this lens...practice makes perfect.

I see you are shooting in Aperture mode, learn to shoot in manual mode so you have control of everything. On your second photo, you aperture is way to high for the lighting, hence why it looks so grainy. As for the blurry shots, I'm sure it's not the lens or you would have posted all of your pictures taken with this lens...practice makes perfect.

Uh, he shot at f/4 which is the largest aperture the lens allows...? And the ISO was on 800, which was probably the cause of the noise. I don't believe the aperture had a thing to do with it.

Uh, he shot at f/4 which is the largest aperture the lens allows...? And the ISO was on 800, which was probably the cause of the noise. I don't believe the aperture had a thing to do with it.

Ok, I see what you are saying, I meant to say his ISO is way to high on the second photo not his aperture...my mistake and thanks for pointing that out :) I think his subjects were in focus at one time, but he took too long to hit the shutter release and they had moved out of focus

Most reactions

New Topics

Back