New Lens F-2.8

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Stevedevil, Feb 18, 2007.

1. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Have been reading a lot on the forum over past few days and will say a Hugh thanks to a lot of people with some great advice, I am looking to purchase a new lense for my kit, and looking at my lenses F stops ( 3.5 and 4 ), have been reading a lot with respect to f-2.8 and f-1.8.

I find myself asking what lense to purchase, not just for f stop & cost, but range, whether a fixed lens say the Canon 50mm f-2.8, or a zoom the canon 70-200mm f-2.8, as I am looking at portrait photography.

I dont think I will have the funds to meet the f-1.8, but if you think this would be more worth saving for then I will..

Also I dont want to get a lens that will only be usefull for portrait, at the mo I have 18-55mm f 3.5, 28-80mm f 3.5-5.6, and a 70 - 300mm f 4-5.6, and would consider adding the same length if the f stop would be an advantage.

Thanks

Steve

2. Patrice

Patrice No longer a newbie, moving up!

You have a fair range in zooms right now. In most situations the lenses you have right now will be more than adequate. Fast, ie: f2.8 zooms are usually very expensive and for most photographs the price premium is hard to justify. A f1.8 50 mm prime has been called the 'bargain of the century', you will likely be avle to buy a new oner for about 100 pounds or less, it will be very sharp, very good and excellent for portraiture and for low light situations.

3. 250Gimp

250Gimp TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree with Patrice, the 50mm f1.8 is a bargain of a lense and very sharp. Great for lower light situations. I got one used in Canada for $100 including 4 filters in top notch shape.

Cheers

4. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    OK Thanks, I will have a look

5. Innocence

Innocence TPF Noob!

I think probably every canon shooter owns either the 50 1.4 or 1.8. =) Cheap and fantastic optical quality.

6. EOS_JD

EOS_JD TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Had the 1.8 until I upgraded to the 1.4. Great lenses.

7. PhotoHeather

PhotoHeather TPF Noob!

If you are U.S. based: Amazon.com has the 50mm 1.8 for $76.94 which is tax free.. and NO shipping cost. Super-cheap. Just make sure you select Amazon and not another company (there are several companies that sell that lens through the Amazon site) to get that price.

ETA: Just figured out you are in the UK... well here is your price: "£64.99 & this item Delivered FREE in the UK with Super Saver Delivery"

Had to cut and paste since my keyboard only has the $ sign... (it's a pain to find other characters)

8. shingfan

shingfan TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    f1.8 is referred to the prime lense (i dont think you can get a zoom lense with f/1.8.....at least not consumer affordable level)....usually the most favourite 50mm f1.8...it is actually almost the best value lense that you can find from any lense family......also cheapest (almost i think)......retail price at $179 from nikon.ca....but you can get it for less on street

9. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I got the pentax 50mm 1.4 a few months ago and LOVE it. you really dont understand how much a small aperture helps low light situations until you actually use one.

10. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have just brought the Canon EF 50mm f 1.8, and for £ 53-00 so a bargain i must admit, thanks to all the input you have given, I will be using it this weekend, and will see how the results go on Natural light, Thanks all

Steve

11. xfloggingkylex

xfloggingkylex TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    get ready for some serious DOF

12. Stevedevil

Stevedevil TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Lens Arrived Yipee

Already took 50 shots and WOW what a DOF

I will be using it on the family this weekend, and Im sure they will get bored long before I will.

Thanks to all the input

Will post some photo's later

Cheers

Steve