New lens, Friend Headshot. Please C&C

Stephen.C

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got a 50mm F/1.8 today for my Nikon and I went straight to the Skatepark afterwards. One of my best friends was there, so I took a picture. This is my first time using Manual Focus, so tell me how I did. The AF isnt supported with my body. Ive been told to shoot Manual Focus, so who knows, may be a blessing in disguise.
Also im a REAL stickler about editing my photos, I just dont like it. Should I always try to edit / Auto level my people photos?
This is the original Photo, non edited.
DSC_0450.jpg

And here is the Edited (just Auto levels)
DSC_0450AL.jpg

Which do you like more?
Thanks!

Learning to use a MF lens is always good, having complete control of your focus can give you more power to get shots the way you want them, and there are some pro photographers who are so proficient at focusing on a subject that they can do it quicker than the AF motor can.

With this shot, I would advise to increase the DOF (use a smaller aperture) to make sure the entirety of your subject is in focus. This will become even more important if your shooting subjects with long faces i.e. dogs, horses...

When you retouch your photo, though the contrast does make the photo look better, make sure that there arent places on the photo where you darken it so much that you lose detail clarity, (theres a spot in your friends hair that became a black hole after you leveled it).

Overall a good shot, keep trying, we all have something new to learn, I know I sure do.

Nice one, that much is for sure. Auto Levels don't always give you what you want, so when you see the outcome is not to your liking, manually adjust the levels or curves (I'm a level-person, others seem to be "curve-persons" --- though when it comes to kilos on your body, I'm on the move towards a "curve-person", ugh ;)) so the photo becomes like YOU want it and not like any AUTO settings decide.

And I do understand why anyone with a new 1.8 lens feels they must test out the widest open aperture! I was the VERY same when mine was new. But DOF gets too shallow for portraits (mostly so), so opening up a little, testing it out at 2.8, for example, might be helpful in the future.

I am thinking that the second shot is better.

Second is definitely better. It's just that it was blown out on the right side of the photo to begin with, and it still is on the edited photograph.

I'm assuming this is the 50 1.8? If so, it's a great lens, but the margin for error wide open is razor thin...but that makes it lots of fun and will make you a better photographer because your only zoom is with your feet!

Here is a quick edit. I did a slight curves adjustment, levels adjustment, removed some magenta from his skin and he seemed a bit cool so I added some yellow.Oh and sharpened for web.
DSC_0450.jpg

Thanks! It's pretty easy once you get the basics. There's a lot of info here and there's a lot of tutorial videos out there on youtube. Not bad though I might add for your first post. you'll love the nifty fifty.

Yeah I'll definitely take a look. I started out with a D60 so I know what you mean...but I hated it. I love photographing kids and i just found it hard to keep up with them and try to manually focus. I have the D90 now so I usually just auto focus.

Most reactions

Back