New Lens Help

steelheadld86

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all, I am a new member at this site. Looking for some help. I have a d7100 and looking for a good walk around lens. Either a 28 1.8 or a 18-140. I know one is a prime and ones a zoom but just looking for best value. I already have a 17-55 and a crappy 18-55 v2 kit lens. The images from the 18-55 are lousy and the 17-55 gets bothersome after a while from weight whem just wanting to shoot general things. Just cannot decide between the prime 28 1.8 or the 18-140. Thank you for any help that is provided. Also, $ between the two is not a deciding factor.

Hello all, I am a new member at this site. Looking for some help. I have a d7100 and looking for a good walk around lens. Either a 28 1.8 or a 18-140. I know one is a prime and ones a zoom but just looking for best value. I already have a 17-55 and a crappy 18-55 v2 kit lens. The images from the 18-55 are lousy and the 17-55 gets bothersome after a while from weight whem just wanting to shoot general things. Just cannot decide between the prime 28 1.8 or the 18-140. Thank you for any help that is provided. Also, $ between the two is not a deciding factor.

what is it that you want to shoot? there's huge difference between a 28mm and a 140mm focal length. And as far as I know 18-55 VRII is a pretty good lens, why do you think it's crappy?

Without knowing what sort of photography you do its hard to give any meaningful advice.
As Raj said there is nothing wrong with the 18-55 kit lens, optically its very good so if you are getting crappy photos its probably something that you are doing wrong. I do however find the zoom range on that lens is somewhat limiting. I personally use the 16-85 as a walk-about since it gives extra range at both the wide angle and the tele ends of the zoom.
Why did you pick on the 28mm? Not that there is anything wrong with it but I am intrigued why the 28mm and not the 35mm which would be the normal lens for a Dx body.

I've been using a Nikon 16-85 and other than the f3.5-5.6 speed it is tough to beat. You already have a 17-55 (I'm assuming it is the f/2.8) which will handle low light situations. The 16-85 is much smaller and lighter and has VR too.

Nothing wrong with the 18-55mm VR lens, indeed its not a "pro" level lens but it can and will produce great images
28mm and 18-140mm are two very different lenses geared to do very different things
Think how you can use the equipment you already have, I doubt very much buying more lenses will really make such a big difference for you, remember its about your own skills and less about the equipment you have.

Nothing wrong with the 18-55mm VR lens, indeed its not a "pro" level lens but it can and will produce great images
28mm and 18-140mm are two very different lenses geared to do very different things
Think how you can use the equipment you already have, I doubt very much buying more lenses will really make such a big difference for you, remember its about your own skills and less about the equipment you have.

This is sound advise. The 18-55 VR lens can take some astounding photographs in the hands of a skilled photographer. Even though I own another lens in the same focal range that is 2.8, I still have and use my original Nikon 18-55 VR lens that came on my D3100. Here is a shot taken with the "crappy" 18-55 VR I took a couple months ago of a visitor in my parents back yard apparently right after he had dinner (didn't notice the bulge in his midsection when I took the photo).

Grass%2520snake_2.jpg

The Nikon 17-55 2.8 lens is a very nice lens, but it is a big heavy beast as most of Nikon's pro level lenses are. If the size and weight bother you that much, you could replace it with one of the many offerings from Sigma and Tamron as they both make high quality 2.8 lenses in similar focal lengths. I myself own the Tamron SP 17-50 2.8 XR Di-II and it is a fantastic lens. I've seen comparison photo's taken between this lens, and the Nikon, the Tamron is every bit as good as the Nikon with regards to image quality.

Thank you for all your answers. I guess after reading everyone's comments, the kit 18-55 is good and probably could be a technique problem because the images just don't look as sharp as I'd like. How do you think the 16-85 or the 18-140 shine on the d7100?

Thank you for all your answers. I guess after reading everyone's comments, the kit 18-55 is good and probably could be a technique problem because the images just don't look as sharp as I'd like. How do you think the 16-85 or the 18-140 shine on the d7100?

How long have you had the camera ? you could be the problem and not the lens

Last edited:
I've had this camera since march of 2014. Originally had the d3200, which is where the 18-55vr2 kit lens came from. I think it took better pictures paired with the d3200 than the d7100.

I've had this camera since march of 2014. Originally had the d3200, which is where the 18-55vr2 kit lens came from. I think it took better pictures paired with the d3200 than the d7100.
It is not just the lens that effects sharpness can you post some picture with settings

Many times when pictures doesnt looks sharp (soft) the problem is with the operator.
Its a combination of settion your camera correctly, using the right equipment at the right time and most importantly your skills.
So many reasons a picture could look soft.
But another problem could be problem with lens but if your lens was good on the D3200 then my guess is that you need to improve your skills to really reep the true potential the D7100 has.

when I first got my D5300 I though my 18-55 VR II was a lousy lens. it had been a while since I had a DSLR and I think I just needed to get the feel for using a DSLR again.

I went out and got the 18-200mm lens a couple of days later and i seemed to get much better photos with that 18-200.

I threw on the 18-55 lens again after a few months and took some photos and I must say the photos came out looking very good with the 18-55. so I am guessing it was me and not the lens. I think the 18-55 is actually sharper which you can only see when you zoom in allot on a photo. as of right now I can throw on either lens and get images that I am happy with.

Most reactions

Back