New Lens - I took the plunge (and I hope it was the right one!)

Saddlebreds4me

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
You know how sometimes you go on something like a 'bender' and buy something like a new lens (ahem) and then try to justify it? Yeah, that's where I am right now.:gah:

I needed a shorter lens to be sure but it had to be fast - I selected the Nikkor AF-S 24-70mm f/2.8 - does anyone here shoot with it? I did some comparing but this one I liked the best.

I also have been telling myself to get this initial investment over with sooner rather than later. So yahoo! I'm a new owner of what I think will be a good lens for me.

I am shooting my first horse show (where people actually buy my photos!) I'm nervous, but I've been doing this long enough that I should be ok.

Any suggestions for the noob would be great - thanks!

I think that will be a great lens to pair with your 80 - 200 f 2.8 make sure you post the results.

Thanks! I will post some - I am going to the barn to practice tomorrow with the new lens and just play with EVERYTHING that I have so that I've got my act together come Sunday.

Thanks! I will post some - I am going to the barn to practice tomorrow with the new lens and just play with EVERYTHING that I have so that I've got my act together come Sunday.

If you can get into the regular barn it might be worth trying as well to get a feel for places you can shoot from and what kind of lighting issues you may or may not have.

Sorry about that, I wasn't specific - the show on Sunday is actually at our barn - we are the host barn so to speak...so I will really be able to get a good feel for what I can and can't do.

What is also nice is that there really should be no need for even my little flash on my camera - while most of our lesson horses are used to flashes, there will be many many new riders who don't need to deal with a flash going off and trying to ride their horse too! I want to capture the moment but be as low key as possible.

The 24-70 is an amazing lens, and my main 'daily use' glass. It would be nice to have just a little more wide when using it on APS-C sensors, but that's minor. You won't be disapointed in the results.

tirediron - Thank you for your response! I'm glad to hear you like this lens so much! I'm very much looking forward to my practice run tomorrow. It's nice to hear such positive response especially since I was not 100% sure this was the right choice for me - other than the f/2.8, I wasn't not sure - so thank you for the reassurance!

tirediron - Thank you for your response! I'm glad to hear you like this lens so much! I'm very much looking forward to my practice run tomorrow. It's nice to hear such positive response especially since I was not 100% sure this was the right choice for me - other than the f/2.8, I wasn't not sure - so thank you for the reassurance!

I honestly can't say if it's the right lens for you, BUT it is one of the most popular Nikon pro lenses, and one that very few pros or serious amateurs are with out. With that, the 80-200, I'd say you have a killer combination! Now... where are the pictures????? ;)

I honestly can't say if it's the right lens for you, BUT it is one of the most popular Nikon pro lenses, and one that very few pros or serious amateurs are with out. With that, the 80-200, I'd say you have a killer combination! Now... where are the pictures????? ;)

Sunday night or Monday (if they are any good, if they suck, all bets are off! LOL!) - I promise!!

My opinion is not worth much as I am (very) new to photography but been taking pictures for quite some time.
For my birthday my wife bought me the 70 200 vr 2.8 and for Christmas the 24 70 2.8
and I very seldom take the 24 70 off the camera. Even I can get some decent low light shots.
Troy

Troy -

Your opinion is worth more than you think! I'm glad to know that you are regularly using the 24 - 70mm lens...I constantly run into low light and lots of action - (indoor riding arenas and horses constantly in movement) so I was hoping it would fit my needs. I'm still very much in the noob camp, so thank you for replying!

It is a fantastic lens. You will love it. I love it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back