New lens. Medium quality?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by prodigy2k7, Jun 18, 2008.

1. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Okay we all know for canon lenses there is the "L" series with the red ring.
    Well they of course are very expensive :p and I recently got a 50mm F/1.4 and its sharpness is amazing. Im sure the 50mm F/1.2L is even more sharp.

Anyways, is there a way to look for a lens that is not a poor quality lens (such as kit lens 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6) but also not a pro quality?

It seems lots of decent lenses that are not L lenses, are USM. Is it okay to assume most lenses that are USM are somewhat decent in image quality?

2. conradtan

conradtan TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

As far as I am concerned, the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS is the best bang for the buck around bar none. I used to have this lens when I had a crop camera, but since gone with the 24-105mm f/4 IS with my 5D. I miss the f2/8 every day. Save your money.. get one. You'll not regret it. It deserves the "L" stripe for sure! non EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've heard the same about that lens. It's practically an L lens...but Canon doens't give EF-S lenses the L designation.

Also, not all USM lenses are that great. There are actually two types of Canon USM...one being a gear driven motor, which is good but not great. The other is 'ring' USM, which is fast and practically silent.

As for how to tell if a lens is better than the 'entry level' is by price. If it's less than $300...it's probably not as good at a +$300 lens.

Some good examples are the 50mm F1.4 and the 85mm F1.8. Both are just over $300 and great lenses for that money. Also, the 75-300mm (non IS) isn't a great lens...and it's <$300.

4. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    Thanks, i guess ur right ill have to somewhat look at price to determine if its a decent lens. I do know in lenses, u get what u pay for.
    I currently have 50mm F/1.4 its great ;)

One problem with that lens u suggested, im wanting to stay away from EF-S since eventually I want to move to a 5D. I dont want a spend a lot of a lens if its EF-S

5. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A lot of people are going that route. But remember that if you do go with a 5D, you will either still have your XTi or you could sell it, in which case, you could sell the EF-S lens as well. And lenses hold their value much better than these cameras.

6. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    true... I plan on keeping the XTi as a backup, i want all my lenses to fit on both bodies... so EF-S wont work.

7. McQueen278

McQueen278 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I've even heard the 50mm 1.4 is better than the 1.2 in some ways. For instance the minimum aperture of the 1.2 is f/16 and the 1.4 is f/22.

8. prodigy2k7

Photos OK to edit
    Whats funny is I think my lens has a defect when at F/22. One of the blades isnt in correct position but its only in F22, i hardly will ever use F22 and it doesnt matter a whole lot, its just basically not a perfect shape like it should be. The blude is like a half a millimeter off out of position ... hard to explain :S