New lens = New pictures!

righteous_bucks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Got my Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG macro the other day, so I've been taking pictures! C&C appreciated

4116941396_707af4fbdc_o.jpg

Taken with extension tubes
4116941546_8f3a228e5e_o.jpg

4116941702_258916aaa4_o.jpg

4116171423_64ef3f10e2_o.jpg

4116941952_aa552a1302_o.jpg

4116171805_5a80d9ece2_o.jpg

Most of them seem out of focus or too soft. My favorite is 4&6

I agree, they look a bit on the soft side. What mode were you shooting in? do you have the EXIF data?

I have the same lens and please, no offense, but Im ready to throw it in the trash for its soft focus. For the life of me I cant get a sharp shot from it.

Your flag shot is nice and composed well. Have fun with it and it does ok with very still subjects and is cool when using its macro feature.

I have the same lens and please, no offense, but Im ready to throw it in the trash for its soft focus. For the life of me I cant get a sharp shot from it.
Don't know the exif data, but generally, sharpest apertures are about 2-3 stopped down from widest so on a f/4 glass, optimum sharpness should be around f/8-11. Also, many Cameras by default are very soft. Change the picture control (neutral and portraits are amongst softest settings out there), boost up incamera sharpness to 4-5.

I also owned a Sigma. It was a 10-20mm wide agle, and I sold it because the images were way too soft.

#6 is my favorite. for one. its photographed properly. for two. its just looks amazing. great job! :thumbup:

Yea, also have this lens, im trying to whore myself on the street so i can buy a new lens.

The APO version isn't that bad. I have the naked one and it's a total, total mess. Though still I have a significant number of photos made with it I'm proud of.
I like the last two.
It all depends on one's likes.

Thanks everyone :) these were almost all taken in just the first day I got the lens, so I still need to play around with it more. But yeah, it's not the sharpest lens after 200mm, but it was only $190 new, and for that price I don't think the sharpness is too too bad. I still like the lens and finally having a telephoto lens is nice!

Good pics, the flower and flag are the best.

I had a Sigma long lens and was not happy with it. Dropped it and broke the barrel so it worked itself out. :)

Were you using a tripod? Did you do any PP sharpening? Like another poster said, bump up the in-camera sharpness a bit and see if it improves. The moon is good considering the lens you shot it with and that it is cropped. Some lenses you just have to learn how to use them to get them sharp.

Regarding the post about the 10-20mm not being sharp. I have to disagree. I have one and I get super sharp pictures with it. The sigma EX lenses are good all-around. My general rule when buying lenses for sharpness, pay as much as you possible can and limit the zoom range as much as possible.

Most reactions

Back