New lens ordered

If you camera has an on-camera setting for it (in menus or physical), the lens will tend to not have it on the lens itself. That is the case with the Sigma 10-20 for the Nikon line.

Well, crap.
Next time I won't add my $.02 when I don't really know wtf I'm talking about.:lol:

Well, crap.
Next time I won't add my $.02 when I don't really know wtf I'm talking about.:lol:

hahah... no worries, dude. I'm mainly full of crap anyway. ;) I'm just waiting for Helen to swoop in and conk me over the head with her massive repository of photographic knowledge. :)

Manaheim & Chewbecca, thank you for clarifying. Basically you are saying the AF lens can be driven to autofocus either by the lens's own internal motor, or by the camera body's motor, correct?

I don't want to hijack the thread so I'll stop here. Congratulations again, Tom. I'm getting this lens too.

^^^ If the lens is designed to be driven by the camera AND the camera has a motor to drive it, then it will be driven that way.

If the lens has an internal AF motor, it will be driven that way.

There are 2 types of AF lenses which have no motor and Af-S which has a motor built in, D40/D40x and D60 owners need to buy Af-S lenses if you want auto focus everyone else gets to use regular AF lenses

Manaheim & Dhoover, ok then some rather less expensive camera bodies need the AF-S lens to autofocus, whereas others bodies already have a built-in motor to drive the AF lens. I got it. Sounds like I better get a body with the AF motor in the body so it can accomodate more AF lenses. Thank you.

I used to own the D40 and yes you need lens marked "AF-S" to auto focus. You can also get Sigma lens that have "HSM", they will work as well. My Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM Macro worked on my D40 just fine:)

Most reactions

Back