The_Caper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Evening all:

I am considering buying the EF 17-40 F4L or the EF 70-200 F4L non IS. Does anyone out there own either of these lenses and can you tell me what the quality is like for both.

I believe the 17-40L is weathersealed and the 70-200 is not.

I plan on re-stalking my entire kit with new L glass and another body over the next few months and I am just wondering where to start as I am picking up my first new glass tomorrow. I know that Usually a decision on which lens to go with would be dependant on what the photographer prefers shooting however I enjoy shooting just about everthing equally.

So basically if anyone can give me an opinion on the two above lenses and add any other favorites within the 1000 dollar range that would be great.

i would go for the wide angle. but thats only because i would use it more. it depends on what type of photography you like...

I have the 70-200 4L and it is a great piece of glass. Very sharp even wide open and it is also very easy to pack around. The build is typical L quality and AF is quick and silent as expected. If I would have had the money I probably would have gotten the 2.8L version but it is double what the 4L cost me. If you will be shooting in low light then you will want the 2.8L version which you can pick up for about $1000. If you don't need the extra stop, get the 4L and save yourself the money.

Those are two of the best lenses that Canon offer...nothing to worry about. However, if you shoot in low light (weddings) or sports etc, then I'd consider looking at F2.8 lenses rather than F4 lenses.

Thank you for the info fellas. About 1 hr ago I just purchased a brand new
EF 70-200 F4L with a Hoya S-HMC multi coated UV filter and a Hoya S-HMC multi coated Circular Polarizer both 67mm.

Over the next couple of months I will be looking at some faster "L" glass as I do want to get into some wedding work so I will look at the 2.8 series, thanks for the advice Mike. A new body is also in the future to be my primary either the 40D or 5D although I am not sure of the advantages of having a full frame body.

Thanks all.

Paul.

although I am not sure of the advantages of having a full frame body.
The first advantage is low noise. The 5D produces almost no noise up to ISO 400 and barely any at ISO 800 (or so they say).

Secondly, you don't need to use EF-S lenses to get a wide angle. 24mm on a full frame camera is pretty wide...but on a 40D, you would need 15mm to get the same wide FOV.

There are advantages to using a 'crop factor' camera like the 40D...cost being a big one. Also, the narrower FOV makes lenses feel longer, which is good for telephoto. The 5D isn't necessarily very fast but the 20D & 30D are very fast...and the 40D is blazingly fast. (6.5 fps).

Excellent info Mike, thanks a bunch:

Sounds like the 40D then as I also like wildlife work so the 1.6X cropped body will give me more reach and I am likeing the 6.5 fps just in case I shoot some of my son playing soccer.

Cheers.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back