New Lens!

AmericanJesus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys, got a Sigma 105mm f/2.8 EX Macro in the mail yesterday and theese are some choice shots...I was in such a hurry with the bee that i forgot to lower my ISO, not used to having such a fast lens!!!!

Baileybite.jpg

HarveyReturn.jpg

DSC07328.jpg

and some other shots

DSC07077.jpg

DSC07230.jpg

Would really appreciate some feedback!

You've gotten 44 views and no comments, so I'll stick my neck out... :)

So, technical comments:

• 1&2 looked like they could use a bit of a saturation boost.
  • 1 seemed cropped a bit funny- cut off the dog's nose on the right.
  • 2 looked like it could have benefitted from a deeper depth of field to bring the second dog into focus.
  • You mentioned the ISO on the bee, so I assume that's where the noise is from. Looks like the color may be a bit off? Maybe boosted on the saturation too much? not sure. I suspect you were trying to salvage the shot and it was just not doable. (I totally understand- been there many times.) :)
Composition comments:

Honestly, these shots were all kind of weird for me... well, except the bee.

• In the first shot the dogs look (frankly) like they are having sex. Looks like the only one having fun is the one on top. :meh:
  • In the second shot... well, it's a fine shot I guess, but it wasn't terribly pleasant. If that's what you're going for then, well... well done! :)
  • In the last shot, the cat looks like he's about to knife someone with his only claw. It's just... odd. I assume he was in that "I'm a cat and I'm licking my butt but something caught my attention so I'm looking up with my butt exposed" position... thus the odd foot thing.
Dunno man.

To be honest, none of these are great. But im sure in a week or 2 you will be posting some breath taking close ups, and i look forward to it.

If you can would you please give a brief review on the lens?

You've gotten 44 views and no comments, so I'll stick my neck out... :)

So, technical comments:
  • 1&2 looked like they could use a bit of a saturation boost.
  • 1 seemed cropped a bit funny- cut off the dog's nose on the right.
  • 2 looked like it could have benefitted from a deeper depth of field to bring the second dog into focus.
  • You mentioned the ISO on the bee, so I assume that's where the noise is from. Looks like the color may be a bit off? Maybe boosted on the saturation too much? not sure. I suspect you were trying to salvage the shot and it was just not doable. (I totally understand- been there many times.) :)
Composition comments:

Honestly, these shots were all kind of weird for me... well, except the bee.
  • In the first shot the dogs look (frankly) like they are having sex. Looks like the only one having fun is the one on top. :meh:
  • In the second shot... well, it's a fine shot I guess, but it wasn't terribly pleasant. If that's what you're going for then, well... well done! :)
  • In the last shot, the cat looks like he's about to knife someone with his only claw. It's just... odd. I assume he was in that "I'm a cat and I'm licking my butt but something caught my attention so I'm looking up with my butt exposed" position... thus the odd foot thing.
Dunno man.

Thanks for all the feedback!

This is my first fixed lens, its a weird feeling not being able to zoom in or out to me at the moment. Feedback greatly appreciated!

To be honest, none of these are great. But im sure in a week or 2 you will be posting some breath taking close ups, and i look forward to it.

If you can would you please give a brief review on the lens?

The lens is just amazing, That bee shot was the first shot i took with the lens, and i hadnt re adjusted the ISO, its a fast lens faster then anything im used to. Its dead sharp i spent an hour just taking random photos cause i liked how crisp they were. If its your first fixed lens then your going to need to get used to not being able to compose with focal length, especially difficult with moving targets, the dogs were everywhere from a foot to 50 feet away. But it is now my favorite lens, just an amazing piece. My friend who shoots cannon has the same one, i think its better on the sony =).

Most reactions

Back