new light set up

kntrygurl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok. Since this is the beginners posting section i thought i would give this a try.
My husband bought me a lightset for Christmas and I just had to try it out!:sexywink:
Well anyway these are from the very first shoot I done with my 5 yr. old son.
I know that they are far from perfect but I am very satisfied with the way they came out.

ok here they are. be nice to me!!!

1.)
Christmas08_193.jpg

2.)
Christmas08_195.jpg

3.)
Christmas08_196.jpg

4.)
Christmas08_197.jpg

5.)
Christmas08_198.jpg

and then my combination of the two I loved after i got through in Photoshop.
Christmas08_197-edited.jpg

ok. and none of these have had any post processin except for the last one and that was only cut/crop add a feather edge and apply a stroke to the lil pic. oh and an inside glow to the big pic

first off damn hes 5? what are you feeding him....or am i just that far off and he doesnt seem more like 10? ha ok anyways lighting seems fine to me good even soft lighting throughout on pictures 2 and 5 though you can see the reflection of the light in his eyes. i dont like the camo hat and santa hat...and one of them definately has to go. the background its too sheer you can see through it at least on the first one not as noticeable in all the others but still noticeable. also iron the sheet (at least i assume its a sheet). the second one is the only one that has his whole body in it need to work on the cropping

I would suggest changing the background and using a narrower DoF.

first off damn hes 5? what are you feeding him....or am i just that far off and he doesnt seem more like 10? ha ok anyways lighting seems fine to me good even soft lighting throughout on pictures 2 and 5 though you can see the reflection of the light in his eyes. i dont like the camo hat and santa hat...and one of them definately has to go. the background its too sheer you can see through it at least on the first one not as noticeable in all the others but still noticeable. also iron the sheet (at least i assume its a sheet). the second one is the only one that has his whole body in it need to work on the cropping

yes he's five. in fact he just turned five the day after christmas. and i feed him some good home grown food. lol
in the first pic i noted the background was see through and moved the lights around a bit. It was basically a trial and error shoot!
there was actually a reason there was two hats on his head. the reason being is that it was just normal to see around the my neck of the woods. (and the fact that he wouldn't take a pic with the santa hat on without it.)
the "sheet" is spost to be muslin. at least that what it said when i bought it. i didn't know any better as i had never seen one before and don't have a clue as what to buy.

and then you mentioned the croping. i haven't croped any of these. do you mean i either need to have the whole body or just from the waste up?

I am very new and have not been in photography long enough to offer advice, that being said, I think the lighting is good.

I am considering adding a light kit to my collection, do you mind sharing what set your husband bought?

I am very new and have not been in photography long enough to offer advice, that being said, I think the lighting is good.

I am considering adding a light kit to my collection, do you mind sharing what set your husband bought?

no i don't mind at all.
but you have to remember that i am VERY VERY new to all this and he didn't want to spend alot of money one something that MAY make some money later on. with that said it was a light kit off ebay.
here is what was included in the kit he got me:

2 x lightstand able to extend to 7 feet
2 x Perfect daylight 105watts bulb 6400K = 800 Watts
1 x Background Light Stands
1 x 35watt Background light 6400k
2 x 32" translucent umbrella
3 x AC Swivel adapter / umbrella holder
2 x Backdrop Support Stands up to 8.5 ft
4 x Section cross bar up to 10ft wide
2 x Muslin backdrops included one white on black 6" x 9"
1 x Carrying case for backdrop stand

all this was only $179.99

well im not a fan of studio shots but with that being said my limited experience ive just used a sheet against a wall worked well enough for me....hmmm where did he buy all this from?

well im not a fan of studio shots but with that being said my limited experience ive just used a sheet against a wall worked well enough for me....hmmm where did he buy all this from?

from ebay

Most reactions

New Topics

Back