New light tent C&C please

JClishe

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just made a homemade light tent and am curious what you guys (and gals) think about the results. This is my first time attempting to take product photos like this.

I know the top of the beer bottle is out of focus, and I realize this is a no-no for product photographer. Just an oversight on my part.

3858445803_c9350d3837_b.jpg

3858446745_e156d17581_b.jpg

3859238208_94ca40147e_b.jpg

They are both really out of focus, not just the top of the bottle. That's the first thing that comes to mind. I don't know exactly what the reason for it is, but I have some ideas. First is simply manual focus not set correctly. Next, you could be using a wide aperture (which actually seems likely because of the bottle pic) and your focus point is a hair off. If that's the case, stop down your aperture. The last thing I can think of is that it's possible you aren't outside the minimum focusing distance of your lens. A quick search shows me that the minimum focusing distance of your lens is 20 inches. By the picture of your rig it looks like you might be less than 20 inches away. Maybe try moving your camera back and zooming in more.

Out of focus because your camera is too close. You should pull it back a bit and just zoom in. Also u should either change your bulb to fluorescent, or change you white ballance to give u a more neutral w.b

I agree next time you can work on using cleaner lighting or adjusting for it via your whitebalance, but this seems to have worked pretty well for a DIY rig and a first try.

Thanks for all the input guys!

You're right, I was definitely closer than 20 inches. I'll do another one tonight and will scoot the camera back.

I actually did have the WB set to fluorescent. I did one first set at auto and it was really yellow. Having said that, I bought one of those "daylight" bulbs only to discover that my clamp on work light that I wanted to use is apparently broken, so I had to fall back to using the light fixture above my breakfast table as you can see in the picture. I'll pick up a new work light for the daylight bulb and see how that effects lighting.

OK, here's another set. I used a smaller aperture and backed farther away, I think these are much sharper. Also, I was mistaken in my previous comment about WB. The original set was used with the WB set to tungsten, and that's what I used for my first picture below. In the second picture I switched to fluorescent.

3860018044_f1eec09a59_b.jpg

3859232911_fd1c3352e0_b.jpg

your color is still really off.. that background should look white, and it doesnt in any of them.. time to try a different colored bulb i think

Adjust the WB in PP software. Add some sharpening, adjust the tone curve a little to wash out the white background completely, and you've got yourself a shot!

KEWLLL setup. I like it. what was your setup? was it just the 50 and the incandescent lights on top?
you could try more lighting from the sides. the background should have looked white like in Robert's PP version.

I like the box a lot ;)

Cool setup. I did the same thing a little while back. Only difference was I picked up 3 Daylight Fluorescent Spiral Bulb's (5000K) at the local store for $10. I then switched over to a box I make with foam core poster board. It's sturdier and a bit better about holding and making the light pop. It's also bigger which is nice for different lighting.

Most reactions

Back