New...looking for feedback

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by abk, Oct 27, 2009.

1. abk

abk TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum and looking for some feedback. I've always loved taking photos but just recently started taking it more seriously and would like to improve.

thanks!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2010
  2. tirediron

tirediron Watch the Birdy! Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    First off, welcome to the forum!

C&C per req:

I think this is an image with possibilities. It has a few issues as-is, most notably the fact that the car child is all but obscured by the one in the foreground, and there are excessive shadow areas on the right side of his head. As well, the pose of the far child is a bit awkward, with what appears to be a set of disjoined legs in the image with no purpose. On the plus side, you've made really good use of available light and I like the warm glow on the skin.

What I would do to improve this image: Set the children up side by side and have them looking in the same direction. I would use a reflector to camera left, low down to provide illumination of the shadows and set the camera up for a 3/4 profile such that you can see both faces.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

3. bigtwinky

bigtwinky No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If you are not comfortable with the technicality of a camera, such as the relationship between aperture, ISO, shutter, and how to shoot in the manual or semi manual modes, I'd highly recommend reading Bryan Peterson's Understanding Exposure. A great book for a new photographer.

Do some google searching on composition rules for potraits and for general composition rules for photography. Chose one or two and practice them for a while to get the hang of them. Things like the rules of thirds, the golden rules (triangle and such), repeating lines, leading lines, symetry,...

Most of all, keep shooting and keep having fun

4. abk

abk TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thank you both for your feedback. I posted this photo because I got a lot of compliments on it from friends and family (who are obviously biased :lol:) and I felt it has a lot to be desired so I wanted some real feedback!

These kids do not sit. This was a very brief moment so I had to take the shot. I totally agree on the 3/4 profile and tried but they were at the edge of a lake so I would have had to get in the water...looking back I probably should have!

twinky I will definitely look into the book you recommended. sounds great.

thank you both again! I'm looking forward to posting more photos!

5. Canosonic

Canosonic TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    ^^^
    The only thing I could attack is composition. I think this would have looked better with just one kid.