New MacBook Pro & CS2

Discussion in 'Graphics Programs and Photo Gallery' started by JohnMF, Sep 13, 2006.

1. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

I've just ordered a MacBook Pro (thankyou Visa) and now i've just read on the net somewhere that CS2 doesnt really run too good on it. Which concerns me abit 'cos that's all its going to be used for

Is anyone running this setup, and can you tell me what the performance is like?

2. Arch

Arch Damn You! Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    hmmm.... iv never heard that before..... i dont use mac books but with the spec they have, i cant see them ever having a problem with CS?....:confused:

3. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

just done a bit more reading on the Adobe website. it's something to do with the fact that new macs use intel processors. CS2 and most other non apple products wont run on these systems without using an emulator called rosetta, which slows everything down. have to wait for CS3 for it to be fully compatable. it's a bit of a bummer

4. zedin

zedin TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    However.. since you can run windows on the new macbook pros you could always install windows and then CS2 for windows (since it uses intel processors). However then you need to read up on the whole issue with HDD access when installing windows since they use some wierd outdated driver. And it is not that CS2 won't run but it just runs slower since it must be translated via the rosetta stone program to run.

5. astrostu

astrostu Guest

It'll be fine. Yes, it's because CS2 is not in Universal Binary format, so it does not run natively on Intel processors. However, OS X has the layer called "Rosetta" built into it that converts all the code at approximately 80% speed to run on the Intel machine, so if, for example, you have a 2.0 GHz machine, then CS2 should run as if it were on a 1.6 GHz machine, which really isn't that bad unless you're manipulating images that take up like 100 MB. CS3 should come out by next summer, I think.

6. Hfry

Hfry TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    You wont have a Problem what so ever. As longs as there is Plenty Of allocated memory to CS2. Photoshop needs Like i dunno a couple megs to keep clean and run Smoothly. But... for the most part you'll be ok. IF Storage space starts getting sketchy just purchase an External Hard Drive. Good luck.

7. niccig

niccig TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I use a macbook pro, and CS2. At first I had problems with CS2 being sloooooow, but then I upgraded my RAM from 512MB to 1GB. It made a HUGE difference. The only complaint I've had since then is that if I'm running a bunch of applications at once (Photoshop, Lightroom, GoLive, Firefox is what I usually have open), GoLive has a habit of crashing, which can be a little annoying. That may be solved with more RAM, but it's not enough of an issue to pay for another upgrade. I don't think you'll have any problem at all. BTW, if you need extra RAM, I'd recommend www.macsales.com. It's WAY cheaper than buying it from Apple.

8. JohnMF

JohnMF TPF Noob!

i have 1 gig of ram installed so i should just about be ok then.

thanks for the link too