New manual camera wanted!

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Rob, Apr 8, 2005.

1. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Hello people,

I'm slowly building up a collection of cameras - nothing like Matt's yet, but I've got a bookcase in my office dedicated to them and it's only a matter of time before I buy out every high-street camera shop which is going bust!

I'm looking to get some more fully manual 35mm film, but I'm looking for something a bit different. As a predominantly Nikon user, I like my images very very sharp. I've got a Leica IIIG and a Voigtlander Bessa which I've been playing with lately (the corner vignetting was due to mankyness on the lens in the end - thanks everyone) and have really enjoyed these two, but I can't take the Leica out often (it's of too much sentimental value) and the Voigtlander isn't quite there optically. It's also my new indestructible pub camera, so is going to be used and abused for a different role.

I was thinking of a Zeiss/Contax III, but they're nigh on impossible to find and carry an astonishing price tag if they are still in decent condition. Anyone have any bright ideas of something in the sub £300 ($450ish) category? I don't mind quirky, but it does have to be sharp and preferably 35mm film.

Thanks for entertaining my musing.

Rob

2. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit

Rob, have you tried a Zeiss Contessa? They're pretty sharp little 35mm cameras with good lenses. Also, a Voigtlander with the very sharp Skopar might do you well, something like a Vitomatic or a CLR. The Contessa sells on E-bay for anywhere between $75 and $150 in good condition and the Voigtlander sells for less than that.

Also, the Olympus XA series are pretty good performers and they're small.

For a MF, a Zeiss Super Ikonta would be nice, very compact, especially the 531/16 (Super Ikonta A1) with the 75mm Tessar and 6x4.5 format. Expect to pay at least $150 for a good one, more for a coated Tessar and MXd shutter.

The Zeiss Contax cameras are well made but they are heavy! I have one from the 1941-1942 era and it's built like a tank.

3. tempra

tempra TPF Noob!

Want one of these little beauts? Coming to ebay very soon. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

4. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have a Zeiss Contaflex Super BC that is also built like a tank. :mrgreen: They were made from the late '60's to early 70's, I believe. It was reasonably priced, too, of course you'll pay more if you start adding all those Zeiss lenses. ;) I got mine with a 50mm lens for about $250, maybe less. I've added other lenses, just one at a time.

5. rangefinder

rangefinder TPF Noob!

I use a Nikon FM-10. The only thing special about it is the light meter. Toatally manual. Runs about $220USD.

6. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

I'd seen a couple of Contessas on eBay, but not knowing what one was... I'll snap one up if I see it now - thanks! Are there any specific things to look out for?

Rob

7. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

8. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

I've already got Nikon: Nikkormat, FM2n, FM3a, F3HP and F65 so I'm going to get some other brands before I complete the collection!!! Perhaps one of those obscene gold things to top off the list?

R

9. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

I'm going to get an F2 when I see one that's right, but at the mo I'm going to branch out and experiment with some other brands. Hertz - do you know if it's the old style mounting, like the Nikkormat, or is it compatible with the newer standard bayonet?

R

10. Rob

Rob TPF Noob!

Whilst looking up the Zeiss Super Ikonta to see what it looked like, I stumbled across this picture:

Now I'm no expert, but it's "in need of restoration" I would say.

[​IMG]

11. Kodan_Txips

Kodan_Txips TPF Noob!

How about a sweet little Rollei 35B.

Lovely little camera.

Or a Minox - something really wacky as a conversation piece. (Hums Bond theme tune.)

SLRs... An Exacta, or the lovely camera I had in 1968,a Topcon - they were really historically significant, imho, yet are rarely heard of these days.

12. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

I think it was the same as the Nikkormat. There was a little fork thingy on the top of the lens that located on a pin in the Photomic head so that the aperture was connected to the meter. Could be a bit fiddly at times.

Canon did a lovely little half-frame (like the Olympus Trip). Fixed focus, auto exposure via selenium cell and clockwork motordrive. It was gorgeous.

You could always do what I like to do. Browse lots of camera shops looking at the second hand section until you see something that catches your eye.

I'm still looking for the old Minolta 110 kit - it had interchangeable lenses and worked like a 35mm but took 110 cartridges. It never caught on and they didn't sell many so it's unusual - but fun.