New member / First camera

jpticar

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hey everyone. I'm new here and pretty new to photography. I'd like to leave the point and shoots behind and buy my first dslr. I've been doing a lot of research and drawn towards to Nikon D90. I realize that this is not really a camera for such a newb, but I'd rather buy out of my league and force myself to learn (may sound dumb to some lol). My main question here is what do you guys think about the D90 and what do you think of this deal? The item is located in park slope, brooklyn and I am in NYC so I can easily go pick it up.

Nikon D90 DIGITAL SLR CAMERA +2 LENSES 4GB D 90 ALL NEW - eBay (item 230367910513 end time Sep-14-09 20:34:16 PDT)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Anyone? Did I post in the wrong section?

The D90 is a great camera.

Check the packages / deals / individual items at other stores and add up the price and see if its a good deal.

I don't mind buying cheaper things on ebay, but I prefer to buy the actual gear from a local shop, where I know I can get some after purchase service.

I am unable to access ebay from work, but the 2 lenses I assume are a kit 18-55 and a telephoto 50-200 range? Thats good to start with, but you will be upgrading soon.

nothing wrong with a d90 for a first DSLR IMO

but idk .. $999 ?

not sure with the price if its good or what.

/leaves it to teh more knowledgeable pplz

I am unable to access ebay from work, but the 2 lenses I assume are a kit 18-55 and a telephoto 50-200 range? Thats good to start with, but you will be upgrading soon.

it comes with a 28-80 and apparently .. a telephoto lens :/

whatisinthebox-big-picture-nikon-d90-28-80.jpg

accessories-big-description-28-80.jpg

Description:

Nikon's AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens is a welcome addition to the Nikon DX-format DSLR systems, and an ideal counterpart to the D90 DSLR. This versatile optic offers much of the benefits of the enormously-popular 18-200mm VR lens but in a lighter, smaller body that takes a smaller filter as well.

The AF-S Silent Wave Motor in the 18-105mm VR yields speedy, silent, on-the-money AF performance with fulltime manual focus override. In particular, the AF-S motor keeps up with skittish, erratic subjects that overwhelm normal camera-driven-motor AF systems. You'll get more 'keeper' images of those fast-moving animals, athletes, children, vehicles and the like.

accessories-big-telephoto.jpg

Description:

This telephoto fits right over your camera's existing lens system, a telephoto converter affects the zoom range of your camera's lens.
Key Features:

High-index / low-dispersion optical glass
High speed auto-focus / Infrared compatible
Maximize day and night shots by providing maximum light and image transmission
Lens bag & lens covers included
10 Year USA Warranty

So its not actually 2 lenses, but 1 lens + a converter?

The description of the 28-80 you posted is for the 18-105, which is a nice lens, but its not a 28-80

As for the rest of the "pro" kit, most of it is probably not pro quality stuff, so don't be fooled.

The SD card is probably a low grade card that is pretty slow. Good to shoot regular things, but will be slow to do rapid shooting.
The filter will probably be a cheap filter that will degrade your image quality
Not sure how sturdy that tripod is, but it might be ok to start with. You'll want to upgrade that bag too probably.

Its an entry level kit. Stuff to get you started if you have nothing.

BH photo video sells the D90, body only, for $890.00. So the rest of the stuff is costing you $110.
The lens is know as a cheap lens that gives ok quality. I read that there are many versions of this lens, so I'm not sure which version is being supplied.

I'm more prone to save money and buy quality stuff. Not only does it have a better resale value, but I won't be always thinking "would that shot of been nicer if I had x lens?"

i copy-pasted what the seller posted :/

looks a bit dodgy to me

idk

i suggest you just go to a store rather than buy from eBay?

If the seller posted info on a different lens and is calling his telephoto converter an actual lens, yeah, I'd be skeptical too

you'll be happy with that kit for a while, but if you progress like I did, you'll quickly get frustrated.

it's a good start though... you'll probably hate the telephoto thing when you start getting serious about it, but for learning, it could be fun. the kit is a nice way to pick up cheap versions of everything you need until you can figure out what exactly you want to spend the real money on.

Unlike Robert I would say stear away from the cheap Ebay deals like that. Especially when they are listing one lens (28-80mm) and then quoting lens details straight from the kit lens sold with the D90 (18-105mm VR) - that shows they don't have a clue what they are selling and thus I would not trust that vendor at all with my money.

Secondly deals like that always look like they are giving you a lot, but often many of the lenses are infact teleconverters or lens adaptors made by 3rdparty groups - they are cheap and poor in quality - and most times your not going to get good results out of them - heck even with a pro grade canon zoom lens and a pro grade 2* teleconverter results are generally not that impressive on entry level camera bodies - cheaper line gear and your looking at a lot of image degradation (an equally priced point and shoot could probably do as well if not better).

So stear away from them and stick to either a simple kit with good known brands in the deal (eg SanDisk memory cards) or just hit Amazon/B&H/Adorama and get a camera off them.

...or go support your local camera shop and buy from them... build a working relationship is always a good thing

oo good catch on the lens thing. I checked adorama, and you can't touch a used D90 body and starter lens for 999. I do agree though, check with the seller about the lens. if the lens is junk, don't buy. if it is a nikon lens, I say go for it.

Thanks for the input guys. I've already contacted the seller asking for make/model and whether the lens has autofocus/anti-vibe; just waiting for a response. I probably will go check out B&H in the city. If I bought body only, what is a good lens that you guys would recommend?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back