New member from Grand Junction Colorado

Tom Holley

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am interested in learning about cameras that would be best suited for Model Train photography.

I have and older Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D that works great, but wont upload pics to new laptop.
No drivers that I can find to fix it, research shows that I should update my camera now.
I have lenses that I really enjoy and am familiar with.
Are there newer cameras that will operate correctly with these older lenses? I have other Nikon point and shoots so, I would like to stay with Nikon but would like to learn more.
Thanks
Tom
GJ CO

I am interested in learning about cameras that would be best suited for Model Train photography.

I have and older Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D that works great, but wont upload pics to new laptop.
No drivers that I can find to fix it, research shows that I should update my camera now.
Are there newer cameras that will operate correctly with these older lenses? I have other Nikon point and shoots so, I would like to stay with Nikon but would like to learn more.
Thanks
Tom
GJ CO

Welcome.

Have you tried using an external USB Card reader?

USB 3.0 Five Slot Card Reader - CF/ SD/ MS/ xD/ microSD & M2 - Newegg.com

LA-EA3 / LA-EA4 adapter will be required if you will be using these lenses with an E-mount (Sony) NEX camera.

Last edited:
If you have Minolta lenses you like then maybe your best bet would be something with a Sony A mount - not sure what sort of budget your looking at but maybe a used Sony A55 or A65 would be a good place to start.

Thanks
Tom
GJ CO

Welcome.

Have you tried using an external USB Card reader?

USB 3.0 Five Slot Card Reader - CF/ SD/ MS/ xD/ microSD & M2 - Newegg.com

Wow that was quick!
No I did even consider a card reader. To be honest, didnt know about either lol. Nice price too. I would like to be able to see the image in the back screen too. Already learning stuff.
Thank you for letting me know.

If you have Minolta lenses you like then maybe your best bet would be something with a Sony A mount - not sure what sort of budget your looking at but maybe a used Sony A55 or A65 would be a good place to start.

Thanks I will do some research on those models, I dont want to spend too much on it as I really dont use it all that much, I think I would use it more if there was a way to get the depth of field I used to get with a pin hole lens. I have an old Chinon camera that has a pin hole lens and boy could that take great model RR scene pics. But the $$ for buying and processing film is just out of the question anymore I think.
Thanks for taking the time.
Tom GJ

Thanks I will do some research on those models, I dont want to spend too much on it as I really dont use it all that much, I think I would use it more if there was a way to get the depth of field I used to get with a pin hole lens. I have an old Chinon camera that has a pin hole lens and boy could that take great model RR scene pics. But the $$ for buying and processing film is just out of the question anymore I think.
Thanks for taking the time.
Tom GJ

If your looking for more DOF with digital do some reading on "focus stacking". The other option would be to add some exterior lighting and stop down the lens more.

I would like to be able to see the image in the back screen too.
If you're not seeing the image on the screen in back, I'd say there might be something else going on. It's one thing to have an incompatible file type, which can be overcome, but if the camera doesn't even show the images on the back, I think there's something wrong. Take it to a camera shop or repair facility and find out what's wrong.

So would an "A" mount, be any Sony A**** model? I see the A55 has good ratings but not that plentiful. I see an A58 out there in a few places. So an A58 is an upgraded model of A55?
Thanks for the knowledge and info everyone.
Tom
GJ CO

I don't shoot sony myself so probably not the best person to ask specifics on Sony cameras, but from what I understand their alpha series all use the A mount. As to whether or not they are going to keep making Alpha cameras, honestly I'm not sure. They recently came out with a newer Emount that seems to be keeping them pretty occupied.

What I mean by not seeing the images on the back screen is. I have to look thru the view finder to see what the picture will look like as opposed to standing behind the camera and seeing the photo on the back screen. I think this was made before that technology was used.
As far as the screen I believe it all works as it is supposed to.

I have Nikon P6000 and P7000 and would like to stay with Nikon but dont know if these lenses I have will work with any Nikon model. The lenses I have are Tamron 70-300 and Tamron 24-70 and a Sigman zoom Macro lens.
Thank you,
Tom
GJ CO

I called both Sony and Tamron, both indicate you are right in that Sony A is the only way to go unless I use adapter stuff, which sometimes dont work very well, they told me.
So, looks like Sony it is, unless I buy new lenses too.
Tom
GJ CO

What I mean by not seeing the images on the back screen is. I have to look thru the view finder to see what the picture will look like as opposed to standing behind the camera and seeing the photo on the back screen.
Oh.

If the camera has "live view" that is what it is called, you can probably learn how to turn it on by finding it in your user's manual.

I called both Sony and Tamron, both indicate you are right in that Sony A is the only way to go unless I use adapter stuff, which sometimes dont work very well, they told me.
So, looks like Sony it is, unless I buy new lenses too.
Tom
GJ CO
Sort of depends on what lenses you already have really as to whether or not switching systems would be worth it. My only concern with Sony would be whether or not they'll continue to support the A mount or not. At the moment at least they seem to be concentrating on their E mount so the A mount could well be abandoned at some point. Hard to tell.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Back